PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I tried pipe mudding some cobs for the first time. I used cigar ash and water. Mixed it to the consistency you want from what I’ve read. Let it sit for 3 days. It doesn’t seem that solid? Did I miss something? Do I try and take out the mixture or just smoke it?

i tried to get a pic but couldn’t get a good one. It shows that you can move the mud around.

View attachment 48373
Seems that you may have mixed it a bit too wet. I woyld use saliva next time. I have read that it works better than watet. I'm going to go with fire place mortar as embers suggested earlier in the post.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I tried pipe mudding some cobs for the first time. I used cigar ash and water. Mixed it to the consistency you want from what I’ve read. Let it sit for 3 days. It doesn’t seem that solid? Did I miss something? Do I try and take out the mixture or just smoke it?

i tried to get a pic but couldn’t get a good one. It shows that you can move the mud around.

give it a few more days dry time, maybe even set it in the sun in a window so it gets a little extra heat. It took mine about 6 days to fully dry. And then give it some smokes, it will harden right up and be great.

Reactions: Pit&Pipes

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
give it a few more days dry time, maybe even set it in the sun in a window so it gets a little extra heat. It took mine about 6 days to fully dry. And then give it some smokes, it will harden right up and be great.

Okay, that’s good to know. My impatience is getting the best of me LOL

Reactions: lightxmyfire

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
The consistency should be closer to Playdoh if you want a quicker dry time. I have found that a concrete slurry style mix with extra drying days works the best. Patience and a little heavier application, if I can tell from the pic.

Thank you. I was just a tad moister than play dough but not even close to concrete.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
Was the purpose of the pipe mud to fix a hole, or just to coat the chamber?

I used it to fill in the bottom of the cob where the shank comes in and forms gaps until burned down from initial smokes. Read about doing it but finally decided to try it. For decades I just smoked and didn’t worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.