Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I think that what I've been saying doesn't even come remotely close to violating forum rules. I'm not espousing POLITICS or political views, just simple economics. If there is a tobacco consumer anywhere in the universe that doesn't perceive that we are under siege, they need to get their heads out of the sand.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really hope this isn't a dumb question, and I did scan the other threads in this section and couldn't find a straight answer, but is there currently any threats to pipe tobacco here in the US?
not really. But people get touchy about the things they care about and see possible threats as going much deeper. Or in other words imagine the worst. Things may change and there maybe some pain in the necks going on but pipe tobacco is going to be around.

Reactions: RodneyPierce

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There have been laws proposed that would outlaw all sales that are not face to face. This would effectively shut down all remote sales of tobacco. So far, none of them have made it through to a vote.
The biggest threat might eventually be a dearth of available pipe quality tobacco being grown here in the US. There's a lot less of it than there used to be.
But outisde of the guillotine blade that's dropping next August 8th, I don't see any immediate threat.
the biggest threat is lack of interest.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think that what I've been saying doesn't even come remotely close to violating forum rules. I'm not espousing POLITICS or political views, just simple economics. If there is a tobacco consumer anywhere in the universe that doesn't perceive that we are under siege, they need to get their heads out of the sand.
Edger, I wouldn't worry about you stirring up trouble. I'm not a mod, but out of plain common sense I don't see anything inflamatory in your posts. 'Political posts' used to be understood as partisan, my-dog-is-bigger-than-your-dog, "you're an idiot for voting for that guy" kind of comments. Those are what trigger flame wars. I see nothing of the sort here, from you or anybody else.

Even the most introductory of economics classes and even the most basic of books on economics talk about the role of government and regulation. Here's a sample:

Of course, there's always someone bemoaning 'political' whenever the gov't or laws or regulations are even remotely mentioned. Those are the guys who should be moderated, not the ones having an intelligent discussion and trying to advise others based on the analysis of very real socio-political trends.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
There have been laws proposed that would outlaw all sales that are not face to face. This would effectively shut down all remote sales of tobacco. So far, none of them have made it through to a vote.
The biggest threat might eventually be a dearth of available pipe quality tobacco being grown here in the US. There's a lot less of it than there used to be.
But outisde of the guillotine blade that's dropping next August 8th, I don't see any immediate threat.
So you're suggesting I tap my retirement account and build my cellar before August 8th? Sounds like an immediate threat to me.

Oct 7, 2016
Current? Flavor bans. If you read something like Half Wheel, , a cigar blog, it seems like localities are falling all over themselves to adopt these. They aren’t necessarily the product of careful draftsmanship and many that I have read would include at least some pipe tobacco. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has adopted a flavor ban that seems to reach some pipe tobacco. Ernie Q at Watch a City Cigar can order blends from any distributor he has an account with, but some of those he can’t sell over the counter to a walk in customer or ship to a Massachusetts address. I presume the same is/will be true of some of his own blends.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Can someone clue me in to "You are ignoring content by another member".....
I don't know what it signifies. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.