Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I really hope this isn't a dumb question, and I did scan the other threads in this section and couldn't find a straight answer, but is there currently any threats to pipe tobacco here in the US?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'd be cellaring as much as I could.

Right now not much has been heard about threats to tobacco given that the attention is completely, tunnel-vision-like focused with a 100,000x magnification on the present 'crisis', and this in itself should give you reason to cellar: who know what's been sneaked in into those omnibus bills whilst the attention is directed elsewhere?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I'd be cellaring as much as I could.

Right now not much has been heard about threats to tobacco given that the attention is completely, tunnel-vision-like focused with a 100,000x magnification on the present 'crisis', and this in itself should give you reason to cellar: who know what's been sneaked in into those omnibus bills whilst the attention is directed elsewhere?
Hear Hear!!!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
With the anti smoking mentality in the country, of course there are thrrats. Do any of them seem likely to end pipe smoking totally? No.
Perhaps not totally but the equivalent for most of us. No one is going to attack the Second Amendment head on but taxing ammunition will be just as effective. If you go after demand supply will follow. Inflated prices via taxes will kill our hobby for all but the wealthy and even they will give up.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Inflated prices via taxes will kill our hobby for all but the wealthy and even they will give up.
Except for those wealthy ones who are exempt from the laws. And even those who choose to comply with their own laws (or give the appearance that they do) will cellar: didn't JFK order one of his subordinates to buy as many H. Upmann cigars as he could get ahold of on the eve of signing the Cuban embargo?

Bottom line: if you're not a member of the politico class or have connexions, cellar now; and don't post your purchases on suxial media: that's telling them where to send the confiscators once posession becomes illegal.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You can have my Cult Blood Red Moon when you tear it from my cold dead hands!
I'd not be giving them any ideas.

I can picture a warning label with a photo of cops in SWAT gear with smoking guns and a poor, blood-soaked sod on the floor looking like Swiss cheese with a pipe in his mouth and surrounded by tins, with TOBACCO KILLS as a warning legend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So no active laws are pending for anything like that
There have been laws proposed that would outlaw all sales that are not face to face. This would effectively shut down all remote sales of tobacco. So far, none of them have made it through to a vote.
The biggest threat might eventually be a dearth of available pipe quality tobacco being grown here in the US. There's a lot less of it than there used to be.
But outisde of the guillotine blade that's dropping next August 8th, I don't see any immediate threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.