PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
At least you're old. I'm staring down the barrel of having to secure well over 400 lbs and that will just last me into my 80s. Time to start growing it I think.

I guess that's only around $40K in today's prices. A small side business for a couple years can provide that.
At least I'm old is right. I don't get depressed over it, but, in many ways and over a myriad of roiling issues, I'm quite happy that I'm as old as I am. The world isn't friendly to those of us with a pronounced libertarian bent. Live and let live. We choose to enjoy tobacco and we should be left alone to indulge our desires.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I just keep buying more than I need. The tobacco will accumulated. Too much math for me to try to figure out how much I'll need. I'm guessing I have around 27 years left from when my uncles and my father passed away. But I'm worst when it comes to taking care of myself, so it has good chance of being early.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I probably should clarify. There's another side of the equation, I'd prefer to live a long time (I think). If my choice was dying because I ran out of tobacco vs living without, I believe I'd choose the latter. Since i have enough tobacco cellared to last me until I'm at least 95, ask me again in 32 years. Given those thoughts, I think I'll cellar another 5 to 10 years worth of tobacco .... just in case. A man cannot be too cautious you know.

Like the old saying goes, A guy can never have enough tobacco, guns, ammo, high end scotch, etc., etc., etc., on and on, ad infinitum...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks! It varies but mostly from P&C when they have sales.
Seriously, when you said you were smoking Cosmic mixture, I really thought you were smoking a blend that our very own @cosmicfolklore made. I asked you about it in another thread but I guess you didn’t see it (maybe you blocked me? Haha) I’ve never heard of this blend until you brought it up.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The problem I am seeing is that no one lets people die at home anymore. They wait till we are forgetting their stupid names because they barely come around anymore... and, who can remember who with that stupid purple hair... then they stick us in a Home to die, and then all we have left to do is chasing all the old ladies around, but they won't let us smoke, and no one comes to visit, and old ladies aren't that much fun because they can't run very fast. Dammit!!!
Man! Man oh man! Seriously! Hahaha, I think you could have made a good stand up comedian. I mean I dunno how it would come through in real life but your posts are very articulate and I always get a good hearty chuckle out them. It’s never too late!

Man! Man oh man! Seriously! Hahaha, I think you could have made a good stand up comedian. I mean I dunno how it would come through in real life but your posts are very articulate and I always get a good hearty chuckle out them. It’s never too late!
I sweat too much to do stand up. Comedy isn’t pretty.

BTW, I’m not producing any commercial blends. If there is one called that, it’d probably taste funny, ha ha.

The calculations are pretty simple and once you have the formula it's simple head math to determine what you will need to have in your cellar:

The average pipe holds 2.13 grams of tobacco in my collection but for the sake of argument I rounded the calculations up to 2.5.

A small pipe (group 3) will hold an average of 1.5 grams
A medium pipe (Group 4) will hold an average of 2.0 grams
A large pipe (Group 5) will hold an average of 3 grams

If you have an average mix of small, medium and large pipes in your collection the average smoke will be 2.5 grams.

2.5 grams x 365 days is 912 grams.

912 grams is 32.19 ounces or 1 pound.

SO, 1 pipe a day = 1 pound per year. 2 pipes per day = 2 pounds per year and so on.

The pipe capacities above come from 16 months of (enjoyable) research by weighing every single bowl I smoked prior to drying with a scientific grade scale which has an accuracy to 0.01 grams.

Sorry...... I'm a Stanford Nerd, it's a curse.... puffy

This is a good realistic estimate.Others who estimate 3 g per bowl is overestimating. Then they always round up at every step, so the eventual result is overestimated by a factor of 2 or 3.

My approach is different but leads to the same kind of numbers. I count the bowls from each tin, and calculate a statistical average.

The amount of entertainment I get by doing math may be shocking to some.

The calculations are pretty simple and once you have the formula it's simple head math to determine what you will need to have in your cellar:

The average pipe holds 2.13 grams of tobacco in my collection but for the sake of argument I rounded the calculations up to 2.5.

A small pipe (group 3) will hold an average of 1.5 grams
A medium pipe (Group 4) will hold an average of 2.0 grams
A large pipe (Group 5) will hold an average of 3 grams

If you have an average mix of small, medium and large pipes in your collection the average smoke will be 2.5 grams.

2.5 grams x 365 days is 912 grams.

912 grams is 32.19 ounces or 1 pound.

SO, 1 pipe a day = 1 pound per year. 2 pipes per day = 2 pounds per year and so on.

The pipe capacities above come from 16 months of (enjoyable) research by weighing every single bowl I smoked prior to drying with a scientific grade scale which has an accuracy to 0.01 grams.

Sorry...... I'm a Stanford Nerd, it's a curse.... puffy

This is a good realistic estimate.Others who estimate 3 g per bowl is overestimating. Then they always round up at every step, so the eventual result is overestimated by a factor of 2 or 3.

My approach is different but leads to the same kind of numbers. I count the bowls from each tin, and calculate a statistical average.

Kindred spirits, you and I.... rotf

You have to account for all the tobacco that ends up on the ground after packing a bowl.