Ever Take A 25 Tin Flyer On Something You Have Never Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Yes I did this only one time and got burned, literally. When Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture came out I figured it had to be a winner so I bought 25 tins without ever trying it, So I get the package, crack a tin and then bang, red Virginia's from hell. My tongue was scorched in just a couple of minutes and I told myself I am an idiot for not trying it first.

The next new blend I tried was when Orlik Dark Strong came back onto the market after it being gone for a number of years. This time I ordered one tin, smoke a little more than half, loved it and ordered 100 tins for 701.00. It was so cheap I couldn't believe it. I recently cracked a 2015 DSK and it is aging really nicely. Not as nice as my 1998 and early 2000's but it will get there.

I am not worried about the Cabbiees as plenty of people love it and I figure I can gauge the piss out of everyone( actually it will be sold by someone in the biz like Pipestud )or someone who would be willing to pay for all 25 at the same times as I hate to Nickle and dime tins to multiple buyers. I am way too lazy for that kind of thing.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Yes I did this only one time and got burned, literally. When Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture came out I figured it had to be a winner so I bought 25 tins without ever trying it, So I get the package, crack a tin and then bang, red Virginia's from hell. My tongue was scorched in just a couple of minutes and I told myself I am an idiot for not trying it first.

The next new blend I tried was when Orlik Dark Strong came back onto the market after it being gone for a number of years. This time I ordered one tin, smoke a little more than half, loved it and ordered 100 tins for 701.00. It was so cheap I couldn't believe it. I recently cracked a 2015 DSK and it is aging really nicely. Not as nice as my 1998 and early 2000's but it will get there.

I am not worried about the Cabbiees as plenty of people love it and I figure I can gauge the piss out of everyone( actually it will be sold by someone in the biz like Pipestud )or someone who would be willing to pay for all 25 at the same times as I hate to Nickle and dime tins to multiple buyers. I am way too lazy for that kind of thing.
Nope. Come to think of it, I’ve never bought 25 tins of anything at once. I did just buy a whole box of cigars I’ve never tried, but I got them for cheap on an auction, so not really the same thing.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I did it twice.

First - I purchased 30 tins of Viprati based on Jiminks review. That worked out nicely.

Second - I purchased three pounds of Motzek Strang. Turned out to contain something my chemistry couldn’t handle. I tried multiple ways, but nothing worked.

Luckily there’s a huge demand for the Strang so it was easy to offload, but I never bought blind after that.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Nope. I purchased 20 odd boxes of Warrior Plug from the Irish guys in Dublin once and then an equally large amount from a guy on here. Both those were impulse purchases on behalf of Weezell and myself along with multiple amounts of the old Condor Plug. I did buy a bunch of the Cabbies Mixture and was not impressed and gave it away to a chum of mine on here. Weezell and me had a similar experience with that SG Virginia Plug that Jim thinks should form the basis of a Pipe Smokers Communion Kit!

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
25 tins? No.
I did buy 10 tins of McClelland 40th Anniversary without trying a sample right after the announcement that they were "closing the doors." That's over 2 pounds at 100g a tin, which is not the kind of purchase I'm likely to make ever again without trying a blend first.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I buy penny-pinching a few baggies and tins at a time, literally, and I still accumulate more blends than I smoke. My idea of living large is buying a pound bag of Ohm or D&R every year or two. But I do admire the leap of faith, even when it turned out more like a part time job reselling it.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I bought 50 tins of Dunhill Dark Flake about a year before it was announced they were getting out of the pipe tobacco business. I didn’t buy more when the end was near but I wish I did. I will definitely buy more when it eventually makes it’s way to the States under the Peterson name. Love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.