PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I know just make sure you wear protection when watching movies. You never know what kind of crazy stuff they'll throw at you. It's amazing any of us are alive with some of the movies we watched back in the 80's.

Actually, the Kodiak story is both 100% true and my own.

• Love
Reactions: Gecko and kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Oh yeah, I’ve lead the the life of a dumb ass. Woke up one morning after I turned 50 and sold my R-6 and quit my job as a military contractor after 8 yrs. had many near death experiences with both!4C21A527-2C68-4E88-9CF0-2ACA04C69E6D.jpeg
this was where a rocket (failed to detonate) went through the shipping container used as my office when I was physically on the Fire Base in Afghanistan. Had just stepped out the door to have a smoke literally milliseconds before.B8F7B18D-B912-4A8A-8025-161AE9C7AC73.jpeg
Hope you feel better soon!

• Wow
Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Oh yeah, I’ve lead the the life of a dumb ass. Woke up one morning after I turned 50 and sold my R-6 and quit my job as a military contractor after 8 yrs. had many near death experiences with both!View attachment 46229
this was where a rocket (failed to detonate) went through the shipping container used as my office when I was physically on the Fire Base in Afghanistan. Had just stepped out the door to have a smoke literally milliseconds before.View attachment 46230
Hope you feel better soon!
Holy shit, man! ?

Reactions: kurtbob

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Between 34 years in a single engine cessna and the associated wildlife being pursued, I’ve had a few “This is how I die moments.” A couple bear’s nose under the tent moments, getting snuck up on and charged by a cow moose, a couple trips in the plane with turbulence bad enough dirt and rocks were hitting the ceiling, a mt goat hunting rockslide, etc.

The lessons learned have led to fewer of these as I’ve grown older.

Mar 1, 2014
Got kicked double barrel style by a 400lb colt once.
I think it was only a warning shot but man alive when you stop breathing for half a minute it almost makes you wonder.
There are horror stories of people just getting offed instantly working with young horses (I had a little more safety margin being over half the size of the horse in this case).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Just last year Harris and I stole a two-seat F-16 demo fighter and went joyflying up and down the West coast in it. Normally we only go after commercial planes but the LSD-crack-meth combination we scored that morning was SUPER good. Especially on top of the dozen or so Tequila shots we'd had for breakfast.

Anyway, when an entire squadron of F-22's surrounded us and said they'd shoot us down unless we landed, well, we landed. Thought we were dead then, right?

Except we jumped out before coming to a complete stop and hoofed it into the trees alongside the runway. Hadn't gone 50 feet into the forest when a grizzly bear started chasing us. Thought we were dead then too...

But we got away from the bear, made it to an Interstate highway overpass, and jumped onto the roof of a semi-trailer as it went underneath. We both almost fell off the back edge because of the sudden speed change, but caught ourselves at the last second and pulled ourselves back onto the roof with one arm, Charles Bronson-style. At 70 mph and with another truck right behind us, we thought were boy howdy super dead, then. Like, extra-messy style.

But we didn't fall off. We did---stupidly---climb down without looking when the truck stopped somewhere in Texas, though, where they were having a rattlesnake roundup. Jumped straight into a pit with hundreds of Western Diamondbacks. Yup, more "We're dead now!" thoughts, but once again somehow got out without getting bitten.

Then Harris' wife called him on his cell and he said, "Well, it's been fun but gotta go. She Who Must Be Obeyed wants me home. Says I gotta stop messin' around, and to grab some ribeyes for the grill on the way or she'll kill us BOTH. And brother, THAT'S no joke. C ya!"

True story. Every word.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There have been a few brushes with death over the years, a couple of my own making and a couple where events happened over which I had no control.

One that stands out happened while shooting a commercial in Dallas to introduce a new car. I was on the camera platform about 15 feet in the air. It had rained the night before, a torrential storm, and the roads were wet, steaming, and kind of slick. The car (a prototype BTW) accelerated out from its starting position and lost traction on the roadway, going into a spin. I watched helplessly as this spinning car barreled straight toward me, with nowhere for me to escape. Fortunately the driver got control of the car right before it collided with the platform and managed to literally scrape by.

There was the time while shooting on Lonesome Dove up in Angel Fire New Mexico, when a sudden windstorm hit the shelter I was in, picked me up and slammed me to the ground while literally exploding the shelter to bits. That was fun!

There have been others, but I'm not going to discuss them.

Other than that, just the few times people pulled guns on me. When a roommate did that I just got mad, pulled the gun from his hand and beat him with it.

I'm much more peaceful now...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whether driving or falling, people just don't visualize the physics of these mishaps. Thirty miles an hour is old lady speed on the freeway, but in terms of colliding, it can kill. If people had a clear visualization of what 70 mph meant in terms of hitting something, not many would drive at all. We live in a kind of fools' paradise of innocence. It's fun to go fast, and until shown otherwise, people just enjoy the thrill.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.