PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Got an email this morning from Pipestud that he would have numerous tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer listed today, various vintages. I don’t normally chase the white whale but indeed took the bait and bought a single tin of 2006 CC (the year I got into cigars and curious what it would have been like if I got into pipes first). I have a few tins of 40th in the cellar and know I like those Virginia’s and don’t get the opportunity very often to add another.

Anybody else take the bait? Thanks Steve!

leonidas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2013
...i too missed out on purchasing McClelland tobacco before they closed shop......with all the rapid panic buying, there was nothing left for us of slow of foot.......

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I mostly smoke Watch City

I understand that! And the pipe commission is beautiful!

Sorry @leonidas I was actually surprised how many tins there were and how long they lasted. Normally I don't have a chance to refresh and they are gone!

@Spinkle you will enjoy that Ketchupy smoke I'm sure. Smoke it slow and don't over think it. I have enjoyed many other bowls of great tobacco as much (if not more than McClelland). Some 3 yr old Luxury Navy Flake by PS hit the spot recently (more than once) in the last couple weeks. And 20 yr smokes typically have that fermented flavor that is very memorable.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I am very lucky that I got around to trying CC well before McClelland went out of business, and I stocked up a nice supply. I've had multiple vintages, and for me CC is the best red virginia I've ever had.

That being said, I wouldn't pay the premium for it now given that there are some really excellent reds currently available. But if you've never had it and want to spend the $, I think it's a safe bet you'll be very happy with the smoking experience (assuming you already know you like straight red virginias).

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It was a fun tin to buy every year. I’m not a big fan of the reds, so one tin a year was plenty.
I remember really liking ‘98 & ‘06, but that probably had more to do with what was going on with me than the tobacco.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I've liked McClellands Va's for years, but I just never stocked up on them. I only recently began building up a cellar even though I've been a pipe smoker for years. I did have three tins that I saved and that was it. I recently finished a Blackwoods Flake, and am almost finished with a tin of St James Woods. After that, I have one Christmas Cheer left. I don't really feel the need to buy any on consignment though. I love VA's, but there are quite a few good ones available now, so I'm ok. My go to tobacco, however, is MB Scottish Mixture. Now that's a blend that I am stocking up on. I'd be heartbroken if that blend met it's demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.