PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I recently bought this lighter. Not my picture, but it's identical.

The updated mechanics of the Old Boy have been very impressive. It has more heft, it lights better, and it closes with more force and security.

The big difference (to me) between this and the older mechanics is the "play" in the arm. The fuel valve and arm have to travel further up than the older style to release the gas. Seems to stop accidental gas leaks when in the pocket, getting jostled around.

I tested them side by side, and the newer version was definitely different. If you buy an Old Boy, I would confirm that it is the newer mechanics. If not, find another place to buy it.

s-l300.jpg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I recently bought this lighter. Not my picture, but it's identical.

The updated mechanics of the Old Boy have been very impressive. It has more heft, it lights better, and it closes with more force and security.

The big difference (to me) between this and the older mechanics is the "play" in the arm. The fuel valve and arm have to travel further up than the older style to release the gas. Seems to stop accidental gas leaks when in the pocket, getting jostled around.

I tested them side by side, and the newer version was definitely different. If you buy an Old Boy, I would confirm that it is the newer mechanics. If not, find another place to buy it.

View attachment 45248
Agreed.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Good Lord! I hope yours doesn't have an Iron Cross on it.
It's not an iron cross. It's an anchor.

Sillem's history dates back to the 16th century. They're the company who made that case and put the anchor on it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's not an iron cross. It's an anchor.

Sillem's history dates back to the 16th century. They're the company who made that case and put the anchor on it.
OK, whatever you and they say. However with 60 years of sailing, I've not seen an anchor like that! Though I wasn't around much in the fifteen hundreds.... :)

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
OK, whatever you and they say. However with 60 years of sailing, I've not seen an anchor like that!
Probably a lot of anchor designs come and gone in over 500 years. No doubt you're familiar with the Bruce anchor, developed in the 1970's... for example.

I doubt many anchor crosses are in use today, as things have certainly evolved since the 1500's or before when it was introduced.

Here's a bit of history on it, for what it's worth.

"The Hanse’s anchor cross is the only decoration added to each piece. The anchor cross has been a long tradition with Hanse traders. The anchor cross is a 4 prong anchor. The anchor was made out hard wood to hold ships in harbors. As the bottom of the Baltic Sea is mainly made of soft sands, it was essential to have an anchor with 4 arms in order to prevent the ship from drifting away from its anchorage. Two arms would not have been sufficient resulting in the loss of ships laden with precious cargoes."

As you're a fellow man of the water, perhaps a Sillem's lighter is in your future...

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Silver one arrived in the mail today. An unplanned stop at a local antique store gifted me w the gold one for $15. Yes..$15.90 w/ tax. Came w original Dunhill box and a tube of Dunhill flints. Smiling.
View attachment 45774View attachment 45775
I'd be smiling too! Love all things Dunhill, the box is a big plus for me. The flints might have gone bad but I love the little "coke" vile. Love the Hammered finish in silver and the Florentine is a favorite finish of mine. They look good with the Dunhill Dress Pipe. Check out the Rollagas Collectors Group on Facebook. ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

eyewsee369

Lurker
Oct 9, 2018
N. Va
I'd be smiling too! Love all things Dunhill, the box is a big plus for me. The flints might have gone bad but I love the little "coke" vile. Love the Hammered finish in silver and the Florentine is a favorite finish of mine. They look good with the Dunhill Dress Pipe. Check out the Rollagas Collectors Group on Facebook. ?
Hmmm..that would require me to get a FB account! Have to sleep on that one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, for sure!

My first Googley try at finding more about Hanse anchors was loaded with stuff about Hanse Yachts.... And this is the first image. A nice plow anchor on a pretty spiffy boat.
553593890fc61f2bfe2b6ab6916c9b64.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Yes, for sure!

My first Googley try at finding more about Hanse anchors was loaded with stuff about Hanse Yachts.... And this is the first image. A nice plow anchor on a pretty spiffy boat.
553593890fc61f2bfe2b6ab6916c9b64.jpg
Look at that teak! Sure looks beautiful, until a few seasons have passed and you're standing in the hardware store buying a crate of sandpaper!

Unless you have some hired hands to do it for you, I guess. Then I'd get wooden boat. No problem. Clink my glass for the steward and fire up another bowl!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.