We Purchased A Travel Trailer. Any RVers Willing To Help Out A Newbie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My wife and I purchased a travel trailer last week and are excited to get out there and start enjoying it. We owned a pop-up about 30 years ago and we've been tent camping the past dozen years or so. I have a few questions and I'd like to know if any RVer out there on the forum would answer a few questions I have through PM? I know there are RV forums, YouTube and such, but everyone on this forum is usually very helpful.

Here's our Jayco. It's on the smaller side, but it's perfect for the two of us.
20200925_161311 - Edited (1).jpg

Thanks.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My only advice is, join "Good Sam" and avail yourself of some of the insurance coverage. They set up and financed an air evac of my wife from Canada to Alaska. Saved me a bundle of money and probably extended my wife's life by a few months. The jet was staffed with two medical technicians. The jet was there within three days of the doctor's determination. Impressive!

Reactions: scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My only advice is, join "Good Sam" and avail yourself of some of the insurance coverage. They set up and financed an air evac of my wife from Canada to Alaska. Saved me a bundle of money and probably extended my wife's life by a few months. The jet was staffed with two medical technicians. The jet was there within three days of the doctor's determination. Impressive!
Great advice. I received a two year Good Sam Elite membership with the purchase and I purchased insurance before we picked it up.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Between AAA and Good Sams you’re golden.

The other advice is practice driving and do a shakedown sleep, cook and appliance check BEFORE you actually go somewhere.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A shakedown, close to home, is definitely great advice. Learning where and fixing rattles, how to best stow gear, what's missing and what's necessary, are all best learned without the pressure of being 600 miles from nowhere. The first few trips can easily erupt into unnecessary arguments whereas, a short trip, close to home is certainly the best way to learn and fix the pitfalls.

But, be assured, if you are in a reputable RV park, help is close at hand for near any problem. Good Sam's and AAA ratings are usually very helpful with regard to amenities available, cleanliness, etc.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Between AAA and Good Sams you’re golden.

The other advice is practice driving and do a shakedown sleep, cook and appliance check BEFORE you actually go somewhere.
More good advice. I've been checking everything (appliances/heater...) in the driveway. We're taking it out next week close to home as a test.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks everyone. Shane answered all of my questions and all of your advice is much appreciated. I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks again.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well you are going to need a few things Scott. First off, a screened off room with wooden panels and a giant chair in which to ruminate and digest the days activities. Also you will need a large viewing gallery on the roof of the trailer, complete with drinks globe of course.

If you are feeling up to it, a small radio transmitter/receiver so you can enjoy your radio hobby on the go.

I think that should get you started.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Well you are going to need a few things Scott. First off, a screened off room with wooden panels and a giant chair in which to ruminate and digest the days activities. Also you will need a large viewing gallery on the roof of the trailer, complete with drinks globe of course.

If you are feeling up to it, a small radio transmitter/receiver so you can enjoy your radio hobby on the go.

I think that should get you started.
Yeah, I'm going to need another trailer for all of the extras. The shortwave will be coming along.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
*UPDATE*
I've taken the camper on two short trips close to home so far. The first trip was about 80 miles from home. My wife and I stayed one night at a vineyard near Monroe, Wisconsin. We had a good time hanging out at the vineyard drinking wine and just relaxing. It was a nice short 'test' trip.

Last week, my son and I took the camper for two nights to Mississippi Palisades State Park near the Mississippi River on the Illinois/Iowa border, about 100 miles from home. We had a good time hiking the trails and sitting around the campfire.

Hoping to get it out one more time before winter. Next year, my wife and I will venture further from home and for longer stays.

Me and the Mississippi River
IMG_2777.jpg

Our set up at the Mississippi Palisades State Park.
20201029_173701.jpg

Thanks again to Shane for all of his help answering any questions I had.

Reactions: username
Status
Not open for further replies.