PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have work and three, soon four kids, and at this point in life there just isn't much time for anything else.
I’ve only got the two, but I’m also in that period where I’d like to do things more than I’m actually doing anything.

Motorcycle camping in the backcountry is my favourite pastime.

All my other pursuits are intellectual: reading, writing, and even arithmetic.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Used to do lot of things. Now days, just reading, searching for useless information, eating. Two sons. One's in college and younger one's in highschool. So, they don't care for Boy Scout stuff any more. Both got sick of merit badges. So, lot less things for me to do.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Thank you for your discipline, not everyone should reproduce.
That's the truth.

My wife and I decided to adopt, so I still have the luxury of corrupting raising a son. Best decision I've ever made. More than one seems like it would really impact my lifestyle, but we may go for it again just for fun.

Three people is pretty good for our interests. We canoe, kayak, and hike a lot, so more than that means adding extra tents, boats, trailers and who knows what else. Probably a second job to pay for it all.

My hat's off to you Workman. I couldn't imagine having four on the go. Maybe two, max. I don't know where you find the time!

I was spending some time in Turkey and came across a boat yard for Gulets. There's pictures online, but they don't do those boats justice. Very beautiful and interesting design.

I've built a wooden kayak, in the Greenland style. I built it short at 12' to be a surf kayak, because I love whitewater and it's the closest the ocean can deliver for that kind of fun. Curious to know if there's any kayaks in the style where you are.

IMG_9517.jpeg

That's the only picture I seemed to take of one. Hell of a boat to see on board. Hand built.

Last edited:
Reactions: workman

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I love this time of year when things slow down in the fall we usually settle in to watch TV or Movies. Last night we face timed with our new baby Granddaughter for about an hour otherwise Mrslax knits and Facebook's and I noddle on my phone or computer "researching" pipes, Facebook, Instagram and pipe, cigar and F1 boards. Very relaxing, fireplace on always with a pipe and glass of scotch. I have all my pipe stuff at hand and I'm very content just sitting around doing nothing. ?

Reactions: Casual and workman

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
That's the truth.

My wife and I decided to adopt, so I still have the luxury of corrupting raising a son. Best decision I've ever made. More than one seems like it would really impact my lifestyle, but we may go for it again just for fun.

Three people is pretty good for our interests. We canoe, kayak, and hike a lot, so more than that means adding extra tents, boats, trailers and who knows what else. Probably a second job to pay for it all.

My hat's off to you Workman. I couldn't imagine having four on the go. Maybe two, max. I don't know where you find the time!

I was spending some time in Turkey and came across a boat yard for Gulets. There's pictures online, but they don't do those boats justice. Very beautiful and interesting design.

I've built a wooden kayak, in the Greenland style. I built it short at 12' to be a surf kayak, because I love whitewater and it's the closest the ocean can deliver for that kind of fun. Curious to know if there's any kayaks in the style where you are.

View attachment 44695

That's the only picture I seemed to take of one. Hell of a boat to see on board. Hand built.
That 's a beauty for sure. More of a small schooner than what I call a boat.
I doubt there are any Greenland style kayaks here. With tourism on the rise, kayaking has become a thing, but they're plastic and in bright colors. Waters are dangerous in our sounds and fjords. Very strong currents and unpredictable shifts in the weather make kayaking a dangerous sport, so experienced guides who know the waters are a must.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Okay, that accounts for 90 seconds, what else do you do?
That's why we decided to adopt our son. My future kept landing on her stomach before it could begin.

Pipes are pretty low on my list of "hobby" priorities. My wife and I have work that takes us around the world when it's not shut down. Sounds exciting, but it can be a bit of a slog at times.

So, we combine that with some pretty good adventures any chance we can get a week or few on our own. Any mountain range, jungle or ocean needs extended exploring and you won't have to ask me twice. Being outside in remote places is where I get my biggest kicks.

I carried our son on my back for the first few years, but now he's got to get to where we're going on his own power. Tough little kid! It's amazing how resilient they are if you pretend like it's the most normal thing in the world.

Taking along four of them? Wow. I'm sure it's been done, but I just don't have the chops. That's some serious parenting.

Last edited:

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
If I’m lucky enough to leave work early. I’ll get a round of sporting clays in. Then dinner with the woman and dog.

Then we relax outside while I smoke a bowl before the weather turns.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Waters are dangerous in our sounds and fjords.

If I ever get a chance to visit those Islands, I'll be headed out in a kayak for sure. I read about some great kayaking in Norway that seemed a little hairy, but I'm guessing that's nothing compared to the exposure of the Faroe Islands.

Looks like a magical place if you like water.

I do a lot of kayaking and canoeing on the ocean off the coast of Vancouver Island. Pretty nasty rips and currents there, but I'd be curious to give it a go where you are. Probably with a guide for the first go-round...

I was going to build a wineglass wherry, but time got away from me. They're supposedly pretty sturdy for just your sort of place. Much, much smaller than those boats in Turkey. I just posted that because they're 100% wood and made by hand in a way that looks like it probably hasn't changed for several hundred or more years.

Reactions: workman
Status
Not open for further replies.