High-End Wrist Watches - Do They Improve the Time Telling Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Income + popularity (of product) in the market place....to me that's why the pipe discussions differ compared to watches and luxury cars.
Or your wedding rings... who would prefer an iron ring? Or cheap bronze? No, the majority prefers gold.

But, it does drive me mad that so many want white gold, for the reasons of having gold, but they don't want a gold color. I am anxious for this trend to be over. White gold has so many other things in it that can create allergies, and is a pain in the arse, because there are literally hundreds of proprietorial white gold recipes, which makes it difficult to have every single white gold scrap recipe on hand, plus the different solders. If you want white gold, just buy platinum, which is what white gold is cheaply and poorly imitating anyways.

\Whoops, I went off script. Sorry

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wear watches (only one at a time) since grade school. I don't use a phone or other device continuously enough to use it as a time piece. I like good durable quartz analog watches that don't look tacky but aren't especially expensive. I want Arabic numbers, and glow in the dark hands. I can't imagine impressing anyone, one way or another, with clothes or accessories or vehicles, etc. It's just not my means of expression.

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I like mechanical watches. I appreciate the design and engineering that went into making a reliable and accurate timepiece before the digital age. I have a few mechanical watches - Omega, Longines, etc. All bought used, all keep good time. But I also like vacuum tube amplifiers for music reproduction and for guitar, and appreciate the engineering that went into them ( I used to own McIntosh preamps and amps from the early 1960's. They sounded great and were all original 40 years later).

My favorite watch today is an Orient Ray II USA - not a perfect timekeeper, but rugged as hell and when bought on sale is a bargain IMO. Hopefully will be running when I'm gone.

As a side note - lots of people ask me for the time - easier to look at a wrist than get a phone out of a pocket or purse.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I own one Rolex that is stainless and 18kt with gold roman numerals for numbers, and one Bucherer(swiss made) which is solid Gold. Most people don't know the Bucherer name as it can be limited. I only wear a watch if I am going out and dressed up. I do like my rings. I like Boulder Opals, Blue Star Sapphires, Jade. DIamonds are worth shit and I would never waste my money on them. I really want a high quality Emerald Stone some day from a legit source.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I have an auto hamilton, I do enjoy it, but I dont think I'd splurge on another higher quality watch. I'm too obsessive. I just want to throw it on and go and not worry about scratching it or something. I typically just grab my gshock. So for me, the experience is a mix between enjoyment and anxiety.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Beforedays I used to wear pocket watches(Silver /swiss made) today only mechanic automatic wind wrist watches(swiss made)and what is expensive and what is not is relative, since my understanding it that watches used to cost much more back in the days when compared to average wages, the price of a sterling silver pocket watch was equal to one's monthly earnings or even more, so generally speaking ,well made ,quality watches are not that expensive today.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few watches lying in the drawer. Wristwatches are wonderful pieces of engineering and artistry, but essentially beside the point today except as an item of personal adornment since the arrival of cellphones, the exception being in an environment that a cellular network doesn't reach or can't be used.
I sold some of the top made watches for years, names like Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantine, and Piaget, as well as Omega and Bulova. Many of those watches went for anywhere from a months to a year's gross pay for an "average" person. $10 Timex would have done just as well as most of them.
I haven't worn a watch for well over 20 years. My own built-in timer is accurate enough for me, usually within a few minutes of the correct time.
I suppose the fascination with and desire to own an expensive mechanical timepiece is akin to our fascination with pipes. In my case though, much as I enjoy vintage pipes and admire beautiful craftsmanship, I'm never going to spend a mid four figures for either a pipe or a watch. It does not compute for me.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Interesting that there's nowhere near the same contempt for expensive personal items that aren't pipes. This thread is halfway into its third page and it's pretty much, "Hey, if it flips your switch more power to ya!" regarding jewelry, watches, pens, and so forth.

But someone post a few photos of a premium collectable pipe they just bought, and every third response would be something like, "Hell, I could buy ten GBDs for that!" or "I tried a spendy pipe once. Overrated if you ask me. Waste of money." and on and on and on.

If this WASN'T a pipe board, I could understand it. No non-pipe smoker has a clue about pipes. The world---anymore, anyway---pretty much regards them as tiny disposable mobile ashtrays on the end of a straw, and are shocked to learn they can cost more than $50.

But here? You'd think it would be the last place someone would find such a reaction.

I understand that the PipeWorld isn't big enough (anymore) to support separate tobacco boards and collector boards, but, since they ARE forced to co-exist you'd think there would be less tribalism between the groups.

Why am I mentioning all this? Why did I start the thread?

Working almost exclusively on high end stuff has brought me into contact with many high end collectors, and no small number of them have told me they stopped using boards like this because they felt "run off" after a while. The steady drip drip of "People who buy expensive pipes are either show-offs or idiots" undertone made them feel unwelcome.

Food for thought, I think.

nteresting that there's nowhere near the same contempt for expensive personal items that aren't pipes.
It really could be that guys who only smoke corncobs and bucket pipes and are repulsed by expensive pipes would also be revolted by a topic with wristwatches in the title. Mmmmmm... and maybe they're scared of you. I know that I only approach your threads with much trepidation. You actually scare the living hell out of me.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Why am I mentioning all this? Why did I start the thread?

Working almost exclusively on high end stuff has brought me into contact with many high end collectors, and no small number of them have told me they stopped using boards like this because they felt "run off" after a while. The steady drip drip of "People who buy expensive pipes are either show-offs or idiots" undertone made them feel unwelcome.

Food for thought, I think.
You do have a point there. I've been on the receiving end of the "you're an idiot or show-off" designation in regards to photographic equipment. On another board a moderator even deleted one of my posts where I explained that German-made flashes are better than Chinese-made. Well, that was a true statement, but don't let the truth get in the way of your "this is an international forum" kumbaya BS.

It's a trend you see everywhere. Indifferentism on the minds of some, and sour grapes because they can't afford good stuff on the minds of others. Ironic, that one reason many can't afford good stuff is because their endless, inveterate purchasing of overseas junk is the reason they're subemployed or unemployed.

• Wow
Reactions: burleyboy
Status
Not open for further replies.