What Do You Do With Your Used Glass Jars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
An Interesting thread came up recently and got me wondering how others deal with used storage jars.
I scrub mine out with dish soap run them through the dishwasher then use new ring and seal tops. To me it's as good as new. ?✌
Dishwasher. Though I make sure no steam or high heat sanitize if there’s any rubber rings involved. I’ve got like 82 jars at the moment and out. I need to stop opening tins.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I just wipe them out with a dry paper towel. I don't want any moisture near those babies. Of course, if there had been any mold or anything in there, then I would shoot them out a canon at the moon instead. But if nothing was growing on the previous occupant, I go for minimal intervention so as not to introduce more spores, etc.

I generally use them over and over again, but my smoking tenure is not very long.
More details below:

1. I buy tins more so not a lot of requirement for jars
2. If I am jarring for long term storage I will probably use a new jar (So far mostly new jars for long term)
3. Once a jar finishes, I will reuse them for short term needs. A bulk I know I will finish in the next 6-8 months, a square/rectangular tin which I just cracked, etc...
4. I just air out the jar to get rid of the previous tobacco. May wash it in water

I am relatively new, so I may find out later that this is not a good strategy, but worked well so far.

We can everything, because we live off the garden; sauces, salsas, jams, pickles, green beans, etc... I have my grand parent's collection of jars as well as I have picked up people's jars after they passed away, obituary scores. I keep a lot of them in the barn as they get used. But, when it is time to use them, I run them through a wash in the sink and rinse with Clorox water, and waterbath them before using for foods.

For tobaccos, I will turn the oven on 200F, and soak them in there for a bit before refilling with tobacco. 140F for 10 minutes is the minimum for killing the worst of the bacteria and mold spores. That is pasteurization minimum as well. Plus, a little heat helps set the seal.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The jars are glass, so they are washable and reusable forever... or until they break. I have been using the same jars for years and some for decades for various purposes. Tobacco is not different than any other food or beverage product when it comes to cleaning and sanitizing the jars before use.