How Many Pipe Cleaners to Dry an 8oz Jar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This may not do a damn thing but when I’m done cleaning my jars I wipe them using a paper towel to dry them and then I put them in the microwave to nuke them in an attempt to kill off any remaining bacteria/mold spores that could fuck with my tobacco... it’s probably silly but I sleep better at night.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You pipe smokers are a weird bunch! ;)

But serious, just imagine what we must look like from an outsiders point of view. We got guys hot glueing their tins, people drying jars with pipe cleaners and we even have neurotics that nuke the damn jars! I’m sure we even have at least one guy that still uses feathers instead of pipe cleaners. Hahaha! I wouldn’t have it any other way.

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
I was wondering how many pipe cleaners it takes you to properly dry an 8oz canning jar including lid? On average I seem to use around 9 of the standard Dill’s pipe cleaners but would like to get that number down to 6. Any thoughts or methodologies to share?

Please do not fool a FOOL.

Reactions: jpberg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
You're the first I've ever heard of.
I sterilize the used jars and lids for reuse. But then, I learned about canning fruit and vegetables from my grandmother so I know the proper technique.

But in keeping with the topic...

Why not just rinse the inside of the jar with 190 Proof grain alcohol and pour the excess into a glass. Let the alcohol sterilize the jar and then evaporate. Drink the excess. Then you really won't care.

Jan 27, 2020
Well, no judgement from me, I realize we all come from different backgrounds, cultures etc., to use the bathroom as an analogy: some people have a bidet, some use toilet paper, others their a bucket and mop. Each to their own but paper will never, ever, touch my jars.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well, no judgement from me, I realize we all come from different backgrounds, cultures etc., to use the bathroom as an analogy: some people have a bidet, some use toilet paper, others their a bucket and mop. Each to their own but paper will never, ever, touch my jars.
It’s an inevitable question, given your analogy: are you taking your pipe cleaners to the bathroom with you?
Follow-up question: bristled or fluffy?

CNMoose

Lurker
Aug 26, 2020
Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada
I'm reminded of a song from Sly and The Family Stone, "Everyday People":

And different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo
I am everyday people

Given how expensive preserving jars are on Amazon now (if you do not believe me, look, at least here in Canada), I'll let hot water, a bit of dish soap and a towel do the work.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I just melt the jars down after they're emptied, using my lampworking torch. I don't have a reason for doing this, but so much of this hobby is just being silly. Like, I usually just toss a pipe out of my truck window when I'm done. I haven't yet figured out what to do with the pipecleaners. I don't know if this is right or not, but I have a bunch of pipecleaner animals on my dashboard.

Maybe some day someone will show me what to do with the tobacco. puffy