PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Have any of you reached a point where your cellar is complete and you have started working your way through the tins and jars you've accumulated? I've been slowly stocking up for retirement (a few years to go yet) and am just curious if any of you have reached that point. If not, do you have an idea when you would stop adding to your cellar and begin smoking all that you've saved? Interested in any thoughts regarding this.

By my estimations, if I just keep smoking as I do now, I can make my 400 lbs cellar last another 20-30 years. And, as smoking is my main past-time, and I am nearing 60, I don't think I will out live my cellar. So, no more buying. Hell, I am not even impressed with how aged tobacco is turning out. I was promised that it was going to improve, and 90% of my cellar is unchanged at all. You'd hope that when you reach a certain level, that there'd be some rewards to all of this. Hell, smokingpipes.com didn't even give me the option of picking a sticker out of the treasure chest.

I'm not about to start telling folks that cellaring this stuff was a marketing ploy to keep a dead pasttime alive. I won't mention that if they hadn't of duped everyone into this cellaring this stuff back in hoards that they'd have all went tits up by now. I won't even mention that I like to check the mailbox while wearing my boxers. But, you didn't hear it from me. puffy

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Have any of you reached a point where your cellar is complete and you have started working your way through the tins and jars you've accumulated?

Yes, I've just started that process. I'm focused on finishing all of the open tins/small jarred blends (which will take me a long time) that I have, so I can enjoy the fruits of my cellar.

I need to stop opening tins/pouches/jars!

I'm a bulk ennerdale purchase away from cellaring all of the non-unicorn blends I've wanted.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I've reached my goal and had a number of "my cellar is finally complete" moments probably a half dozen times.

My current cellaring emphasis is G.L. Pease. I took a look at my inventory last year and realized I was woefully lacking in GLP and made it a goal to stock up over time to ensure I've got a good selection to choose from in the future. There are about 5-6 blends I need to stock and then I'll be done for good this time (again).

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
A pound a month for 55 years is 660 pounds.. that will put me at 85. I've worked in a little extra, in case I need to trade some.. or If i live to be older than 85.. It's safe to say I have a long way to go.

I hope that some of the total weight will come from homegrown tobacco.. I really need to start working on that.

Last edited:

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I've got enough tobacco to last me the next 50 years at my current smoking rate so I no longer feel anxiety about making sure I get stocked up for doomsday. But I am still buying tobacco when there's a new blend I want to try or when there is a good sale on something I like.

I also don't mind buying extra tins here and there to 1) continue to support retailers and 2) as a hedge against blends that age poorly.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
One thing I'd add in response to your question about when do you start smoking what you have . . .

This is something I've just started doing. I haven't figured out how I want to do it yet, but I want to make sure I'm not just forgetting about the oldest tins I have in stock and make sure I smoke them before they pass the peak of the benefits they get from aging. Not that any of us really knows when that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.