PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
My local Flea Market has started again. I have in the past found incredible buys both unopened tins and cheap Estate pipes. This time a mother load was there. Everything from basket old pipes that a pinkie finger could not fit in the bowl to high end holy grail pipes. All scary low priced. Both of my local Brick and mortar stores do not have that many Danish pipes. I bought an old Ivarsson pipe for $30. It made wearing a mask worth it. Now a good cleaning and maybe a bowl of Danish tobacco next week sometime.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a wonderful amenity in your area. Much depends on the region and its pipe-smoking history. Flea markets in upstate New York and New England seem to be generally quite good with pipes, a lot of pipe history that shows up in flea markets and yard sales. Central N.C., at least where I am, must have been cigarette country, since they made so many of them here. If you even ask about tobacco pipes, sellers just look uncomfortable or vacant. The one set I found over the years were pricey, and the seller knew nothing about them; they'd come with some lot he'd bought. Finding quality pipes at yard sale prices is a daydream to me. I'd say, have at it.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Picture? I'd love to see it. When was it made?
Still in the process of a good clean. I am old school. Use an old pocket knife and handfuls of pipe cleaners. High proof rubbing alcohol. Save the drinking booze for during the smoke. No idea when it was made. Not a major concern for me, just happy to find a Danish pipe not Crazy expensive. I kind of feel guilty for robbing the seller but he seemed ok with the deal. Talked with him for a bit of time. He had a vague idea of what he had. He sold several pipes for more than $300 before the market show. He asked if I was interested in buying the whole lot for a reduced price. I was god smacked and dumbfounded. I am thinking that a grand investment would net several times return but that would require a lot of research and work. Just not my thing right now.

Reactions: brandaves

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Still in the process of a good clean. I am old school. Use an old pocket knife and handfuls of pipe cleaners. High proof rubbing alcohol. Save the drinking booze for during the smoke. No idea when it was made. Not a major concern for me, just happy to find a Danish pipe not Crazy expensive. I kind of feel guilty for robbing the seller but he seemed ok with the deal. Talked with him for a bit of time. He had a vague idea of what he had. He sold several pipes for more than $300 before the market show. He asked if I was interested in buying the whole lot for a reduced price. I was god smacked and dumbfounded. I am thinking that a grand investment would net several times return but that would require a lot of research and work. Just not my thing right now.
Any definite information is really hard to impossible to find. The older pipe and tobacco makers had horrible bookkeeping skills. No information and grainy as hell pictures. Only the fools interested in them seem to care. My next find is an old school clay maybe a churchwarden.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
What a wonderful amenity in your area. Much depends on the region and its pipe-smoking history. Flea markets in upstate New York and New England seem to be generally quite good with pipes, a lot of pipe history that shows up in flea markets and yard sales. Central N.C., at least where I am, must have been cigarette country, since they made so many of them here. If you even ask about tobacco pipes, sellers just look uncomfortable or vacant. The one set I found over the years were pricey, and the seller knew nothing about them; they'd come with some lot he'd bought. Finding quality pipes at yard sale prices is a daydream to me. I'd say, have at it.
The horrible thing is that I am really looking for older tobaccos. I have found and resurrected countless middle sixties sawdust looking tins. Only lost one to mold. A 62 to 64 can of Prince Albert. Cremation by bonfire.

Reactions: LOREN

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
No idea when it was made.
If it's an Ivarsson pipe, the date will be in the markings. I hope you realize the rarity and value of such a pipe. In the estate market they can sell for thousands of dollars.

"I am old school. Use an old pocket knife..."

That statement alone gives me heart palpitations.

Last edited:
Reactions: petes03

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Swamp, yes, tobacco is a different subject, and flea markets and antique stores are not dependable sources. You might find something good, but it is a gamble. The low prices on pipes are related to the sellers often not knowing much about them, but with "well aged" blends, this is a problem. If the price is low enough, you might get lucky. With pipes, what you see is usually more or less what you get, if you examine a pipe closely.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Swamp, yes, tobacco is a different subject, and flea markets and antique stores are not dependable sources. You might find something good, but it is a gamble. The low prices on pipes are related to the sellers often not knowing much about them, but with "well aged" blends, this is a problem. If the price is low enough, you might get lucky. With pipes, what you see is usually more or less what you get, if you examine a pipe closely.
I've often been surprised at how far gone a pipe may appear only to resurrect them with some time and TLC. In fact the worse off they seem the better deal you can dicker if you're handy with restoring them...they are occasionally too far gone however.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
If it's an Ivarsson pipe, the date will be in the markings. I hope you realize the rarity and value of such a pipe. In the estate market they can sell for thousands of dollars.

"I am old school. Use an old pocket knife..."

That statement alone gives me heart palpitations.
Be still your heart. I am a calm gentle careful person with strong hands that are steady. I was thinking on the secondary market middle hundreds to low grand area. $600 to $1500 range. Some of the marking is so damn faint that it makes my head hurt. Glasses do not help. They are to see far away.

Reactions: dmcmtk

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Thank god for the slightly lazy!

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I've often been surprised at how far gone a pipe may appear only to resurrect them with some time and TLC. In fact the worse off they seem the better deal you can dicker if you're handy with restoring them...they are occasionally too far gone however.
I have an Estate Dr. Grabow that is just ugly but still smokes fine. The inner rim is all burnt off but the outer bowl is still present.

Reactions: brandaves

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
Awesome! I need to start looking into flea markets... or maybe it’s better I stay away.
I leave the house for library books, grocery shopping, a good garage sale and now the flea market. Everything else I am a hermit with dogs.

Which Ivarsson?

Sixten?

Nanna?

Or Lars?

Or maybe a Stanwell? It will be marked "An Ivarsson Design" Some of those are pretty valuable. The others are usually marked "An Ivarsson Product"

Would love to see before you restore. Frankly, it might be worth more if you DON'T restore it. Unless you are REALLY GOOD at it.....

I have the full set of Stanwell Nanna Ivarsson Designs (N1 N2, N3, N4) And have the privilege of being the caretaker of a Nanna Ivarsson Product pipe too. I paid a helluva lot more than 30 bucks....

Regardless, great find!

Last edited:
Reactions: dmcmtk
Status
Not open for further replies.