PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
It's kind of tough to read, but this is an interesting point of view from King James VI, on tobacco. I certainly enjoyed it, so I thought I'd share.

A Counter-Blaste To Tobacco

I guess he does have a point about the "coldness and moistness of the brain being the only ordinary means that procure our sleep and rest" and smoke being too hot and drying to the brain so it naturally leads to madness. I mean that sounds rational and logical, right? I don't think I want to smoke anymore.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I bet the hate was political like the hate of coffee houses was in the early days. Anything that gets people together and talking for lengths of time can be politically dangerous even to kings.

That's an interesting thought.

I think its interesting that long ago there was such a push agaisnt tobacco, with a beheading included... and tobacco survived. It gives me hope for our pastime.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I guess if you want to diddle your servants. ?
Besides, history is full of examples where being king didn’t end well for his or her majesty. Point taken, though.
FWIW, that second-to-last sentence was supposed to read “Besides, history is full of examples where being king or queen didn’t end well for his or her majesty.”
I didn’t realize that the “or queen” part had gotten deleted out of my sentence until after the edit window had closed. I suppose if one wanted to, they could infer some sort of slanderous intent by reading it the way it was posted. That certainly wasn’t the intent.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
FWIW, that second-to-last sentence was supposed to read “Besides, history is full of examples where being king or queen didn’t end well for his or her majesty.”
I didn’t realize that the “or queen” part had gotten deleted out of my sentence until after the edit window had closed. I suppose if one wanted to, they could infer some sort of slanderous intent by reading it the way it was posted. That certainly wasn’t the intent.
hey even I figured as much. It certainly read more as a typo then as something trying to be clever.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's an interesting thought.

I think its interesting that long ago there was such a push agaisnt tobacco, with a beheading included... and tobacco survived. It gives me hope for our pastime.
it's a great illustration of how more often then not what makes a substance illegal is how unfamiliar it is and not what it actually does. Imagine for a second a world without alcohol that's pretty much like the world we live in (impossible but go with it) and imagine someone found alcohol and started selling it. Can you imagine how scary that would be to people? People would be like this new thing when people take it they can't even talk or walk obviously it's eating away at their brains. I probably should go have another cup of coffee before I speak such treason next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.