PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

“Without the aid of trained emotions the intellect is powerless against the animal organism… In battle it is not syllogisms that will keep the reluctant nerves and muscles to their post in the third hour of bombardment. The crudest sentimentalism (such as Gaius and Titius would wince at) about a flag or a country or a regiment will be of more use. We were told it all long ago by Plato. As the king governs by his executive, so Reason in man must rule the mere appetites by means of the ‘spirited element.’ The head rules the belly through the chest.” — C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
“We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.”

Thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
“We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.”
I’m not up on my Lewis. Is the part I quoted intended to be part of the rest of the quote above it, or a separate context? If the part I quoted is taken by itself, then I think it says that you need more than a set of balls to be a man. I’m inclined to agree, if that’s the case.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Heroism, valor, honor, those are great things, and I'll gladly embrace them when "The Hour Strikes".
Until then, I'm gonna work hard trying to keep my customers happy, change whatever diapers need to be changed, make lunch boxes for the kids, do groceries, wash clothes, hang out to dry if weather permits, change beds, clean house, repair house, change oil on cars, attend birthdays, weddings, christenings, visit parents, tend to garden etc.
My wife does very much the same, only she's pregnant some of the time too, so being a man really isn't much to brag about.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Heroism, valor, honor, those are great things, and I'll gladly embrace them when "The Hour Strikes".
Until then, I'm gonna work hard trying to keep my customers happy, change whatever diapers need to be changed, make lunch boxes for the kids, do groceries, wash clothes, hang out to dry if weather permits, change beds, clean house, repair house, change oil on cars, attend birthdays, weddings, christenings, visit parents, tend to garden etc.
My wife does very much the same, only she's pregnant some of the time too, so being a man really isn't much to brag about.
I think a man raising a family properly, and instilling actual values in his children is about as manly as it gets. The lack of it in our society is undoubtedly what begets “men without chests,” if I’m understanding the term correctly.

Some more background if you have a half hour
Interesting video... even more interesting is that I am still pretty sure that Hunter S Thompson was saying the exact same things, except without the funny accent and big words, and with more bats flying out of shadows of broad daylight and lizards wearing leisure suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.