PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I’m from sunny Southern California. It’s great (besides all the laws they pile on us), and it’s home. One thing we don’t have here is a change of seasons. All we get is a hint of cool “Autumn air” from time-to-time, but most years we have Indian Summers. This year we are actually getting Autumn air, and we are getting it early right now in late summer.

The East Coast is portrayed as THE place for Fall, but for those that live there: Is it as good as they make it out to be? When Fall comes around sometimes I think about living there. My father was from Salem Village, MA, and we would visit Cape Cod in the Summer (late 90s/early 2000s). I have some great memories there, but granted, that was Summertime.

So how good is it, East Coasters? Is it all it’s hyped up to be?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m from sunny Southern California. It’s great (besides all the laws they pile on us), and it’s home. One thing we don’t have here is a change of seasons. All we get is a hint of cool “Autumn air” from time-to-time, but most years we have Indian Summers. This year we are actually getting Autumn air, and we are getting it early right now in late summer.

The East Coast is portrayed as THE place for Fall, but for those that live there: Is it as good as they make it out to be? When Fall comes around sometimes I think about living there. My father was from Salem Village, MA, and we would visit Cape Cod in the Summer (late 90s/early 2000s). I have some great memories there, but granted, that was Summertime.

So how good is it, East Coasters? Is it all it’s hyped up to be?
oh god it's beautiful and inspiring. It's a great little reminder of impermanence of life and the temperature and weather is kind of perfect. The early winter is also magical. The rest of the time not so great. The latter winter is icey and crappy the summer is best described as chronic swamp bottom.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
From the NE. You have thunderstorms and fireflies, otherwise swamp ass all summer and 9 months of terrible in the winter. The color change in fall is nice but short. I hate freezing, and being sticky, staying out on the West Coast.

Reactions: jpberg

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
Just know that if you move there, you're going to lose 3 hours of your life that you won't ever gain back if you stay. ;)

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Yes, fall is great, and my favorite season. The summers keep getting hotter and longer, but it’s going to be in the 30’s tonight and 60’s tomorrow, which is fine by me ?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm in pine state. Not much changes where I am. But used to love autumn when I was kid in NY. The mountains are beautiful during fall.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
oh god it's beautiful and inspiring. It's a great little reminder of impermanence of life and the temperature and weather is kind of perfect. The early winter is also magical. The rest of the time not so great. The latter winter is icey and crappy the summer is best described as chronic swamp bottom.

It really makes a difference where on the East Coast you are. Could you please ID of where you speak?

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes. Of course we don't have wildfires, brownouts, and gravel yards.
But you have hurricanes and nor'westers.

Me, I prefer inland. Aside from the occasional tornado, you don't have natural disasters to worry about. And we got all seasons here, and different day lengths:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Fall in the northeast is amazing. Many years ago I was sent to Vermont by Disney to photograph Fall exteriors for Something Wicked This Way Comes. I'd seen plenty of photographs of the Fall colors, but nothing prepared me for the sheer vibrancy of the hardwood forests. I traveled through mile after mile of blazing glory. The residents told me that it all washed away in November, leaving the area a mudhole before the snows brought about another magical transformation. We shot in Vermont and New Hampshire.
Afterwards I spent some time in Cambridge where my brother was a visiting scholar at Harvard. Seems that George Washington slept somewhere on every other block, a couple of doors down from Cornwallis.
I got my fix at Steve's, trying out the various mix-ins.

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I was born and raised in the Northeast, but never had the chance to see the fall color in New England. I understand the traffic from the "leaf peepers" can be overwhelming.
Surprisingly, there is some great fall color, even in Northwestern NJ. If you have the chance, explore the area around Waterloo village.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Fall in the northeast is amazing. Many years ago I was sent to Vermont by Disney to photograph Fall exteriors for Something Wicked This Way Comes. I'd seen plenty of photographs of the Fall colors, but nothing prepared me for the sheer vibrancy of the hardwood forests. I traveled through mile after mile of blazing glory. The residents told me that it all washed away in November, leaving the area a mudhole before the snows brought about another magical transformation. We shot in Vermont and New Hampshire.
Afterwards I spent some time in Cambridge where my brother was a visiting scholar at Harvard. Seems that George Washington slept somewhere on every other block, a couple of doors down from Cornwallis.
I got my fix at Steve's, trying out the various mix-ins.
Cool story, and yes, GW got around...

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I live in southern Indiana close to Kentucky, and we are a part of the eastern hardwood forest, and fall here is beautiful. I have not seen fall on the east coast in person, and it may be prettier there, but it's nice here too, and there are no brutal winters to contend with afterwards. We are far enough south that our winters are pretty mild, the high temperatures are usually well above freezing even in the coldest months, and snow always melts a few days after we get it (in the event that we get any at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.