PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Different fuels burn at different temperatures. Someone has posted numbers here before, but I can't recall who, or in which thread.
I do recall that Zippo fuel was very low, as were matches. Butane lighter gas was way higher, and of course when used in torch mode it breaks the charts. Those torch lighters will char anything.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
People simply need to learn how to properly light their pipe. The flame should be held above the rim and tobacco and drawn into the tobacco to light. The flame should never touch the rim and cannot using this method. Simple.
If you wait and apply the flame during the draw, you can bring a lighter down into the chamber, remove it while still drawing, and the flame will never touch the rim.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I never minded a burnt rim. If it makes an otherwise desirable estate pipe less expensive, all the better.
This was exactly what I was thinking.

Reminds me of my crazy uncle. He'd see something he wanted in the grocery. He'd bang two cans together and sit them back on the shelf. The next day, he'd grab them off the "dented discount" rack... ?

1600208913787.jpeg

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
If you wait and apply the flame during the draw, you can bring a lighter down into the chamber, remove it while still drawing, and the flame will never touch the rim.
Once again, chasingembers with such simple and yet brilliant advice! There are so many ways to make incremental improvements on smoking technique, and it’s thanks to folks like you that each time I smoke, my ability and enjoyment increases. Kudos to you, sir!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I have the opposite problem, I love old pipes that look like relics. If they're going to be scorched, I don't want just a little blackening on the bowl, I want them to look like they've been smoked long, hard and weathered every trial and tribulation. I want a pipe that's had a life. They're hard to find man, they're really hard to find.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
[QUOTE I have the opposite problem, I love old pipes that look like relics. If they're going to be scorched, I don't want just a little blackening on the bowl, I want them to look like they've been smoked long, hard and weathered every trial and tribulation. I want a pipe that's had a life. They're hard to find man, they're really hard to find. ][/QUOTE]

You must not have access to ebay. Look at used Dr. Grabows , above $50 and you should be able to find them that are nearly smoked to death, yet marked "rare" and " barely used" or "near mint/minty" .

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
It's not the view that's the challenge. It's one hand on wheel, one hand on lighter and the lack of a steady clench while driving on the post Chicago winter (potholes) roads.
I take both hands off the wheel and drive with my knee, works well for me. Of course during my younger years of throwing a paper route from a 1955 Ford Truck improved my knee driving skills tremendously. I could fold, put a rubber band and throw the paper to the house without using my hands to drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.