PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Ebarber

Just so you know, I blame you. rotf

I recently received my 357 poker from Frank Johnson of Thunder Pipes, and have to say that I'm impressed. After seeing the one I commissioned for my wife, I decided to add one to my collection as well and couldn't be happier. Frank is an absolute joy to work with, informed me of defects in the briar, and even totally started over on the pipe when he found something wrong. What I ended up choosing was a pipe with no accents, but fell in love with the amber swirl acrylic rod stock he had for the stem, and a matching tamper. The pipe has an amazingly open draw and as the briar warms, it emits a soft, pleasant nutty aroma. His button work is superb as I am finding the acrylic stem very comfortable to clench. My pipe and tobacco pairings are always done out of pure whimsy and as such, this revolver pipe is my new Luxury Bullseye Flake smoker.

FullSizeR1.jpg

FullSizeR6.jpg20200915_183441.jpg

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
@Ebarber

Just so you know, I blame you. rotf

I recently received my 357 poker from Frank Johnson of Thunder Pipes, and have to say that I'm impressed. After seeing the one I commissioned for my wife, I decided to add one to my collection as well and couldn't be happier. Frank is an absolute joy to work with, informed me of defects in the briar, and even totally started over on the pipe when he found something wrong. What I ended up choosing was a pipe with no accents, but fell in love with the amber swirl acrylic rod stock he had for the stem, and a matching tamper. The pipe has an amazingly open draw and as the briar warms, it emits a soft, pleasant nutty aroma. His button work is superb as I am finding the acrylic stem very comfortable to clench. My pipe and tobacco pairings are always done out of pure whimsy and as such, this revolver pipe is my new Luxury Bullseye Flake smoker.

View attachment 43004

View attachment 43005View attachment 43006

Outstanding! That looks great. Yes he is great to work with and a very talented maker. That was my first custom pipe and actually my last one so far. I plan to do another with him one of these days if he still has time for me when I get ready. The word is spreading and I'm sure one of these days he will have a heck of a backlog. He's very particular and I like that. Thanks for sharing the pics of your new pipe ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Outstanding! That looks great. Yes he is great to work with and a very talented maker. That was my first custom pipe and actually my last one so far. I plan to do another with him one of these days if he still has time for me when I get ready. The word is spreading and I'm sure one of these days he will have a heck of a backlog. He's very particular and I like that. Thanks for sharing the pics of your new pipe ?
He sent me a photo of another he was working on for another client, and his carving skills are quite impressive.?

FullSizeR2.jpg

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I just hope you won't end up being this guy:

View attachment 43009
I sent him nickel casings for mine and I reprimed them with unfired primers because I wanted them to look like unfired rounds.
Before I sent them I wet tumbled the casings to polish them with the primers in them to help deactivate them. I also soaked the primers in 3 in one oil afterwards to assure they would be deactivated.

He said he still had one sizzle on him when he cut the heads off of the casings. He said they get a little warm when cutting them lol.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
@chasingembers

I love the size of the revolver pipe also. I was surprised at how large it was when I got it.
The pictures I saw of another one he had made didn't look that large.

It really feels great in the hand.
I shoulda guessed it was one of those magnum-sized pipes, otherwise the Cap'n wouldn't have ordered one.

I dig it, but too big for me. Think you guys he could carve a derringer-sized pipe for the concealed-carry-minded piper? ? :ROFLMAO: