What Are You Listening To? (September 2020)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Yesterday, the 11th., was Arvo Pärt's 85th. birthday.
One of my favorite pieces of music, to relax and meditate by, is his "Spiegel im Spiegel."
World got ya down, Bunky? Well, sit back, light up a pipe, and chill for about 10 minutes.
Here is a masterful arrangement for cello and marimba of this piece.

Reactions: edger and musicman

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Yesterday, the 11th., was Arvo Pärt's 85th. birthday.
One of my favorite pieces of music, to relax and meditate by, is his "Spiegel im Spiegel."
World got ya down, Bunky? Well, sit back, light up a pipe, and chill for about 10 minutes.
Here is a masterful arrangement for cello and marimba of this piece.

Pärt is, in my opinion (and that of many experts), the greatest composer currently living. I've had occasion to play "Speigel im Speigel" (well, the piano part) a few times, and it's just as meditative to play as it is to listen to. My all time favorite piece by Pärt is his setting of the "Te Deum". When you have 25 minutes, I'd encourage you to sit down and listen to the entire piece all the way through. It's an incredible musical journey.

Lately though, I've been making my way through the recorded works of The Grateful Dead, and today I was reminded of what a great album "American Beauty" is. The final track, Attics of my Life, is stunning poetry and beautifully sung:

Status
Not open for further replies.