PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I'm a self confessed lover of Latakia, although my first smoke with it was nearly my last. I'd been an aromatic smoker and when I tried my first English blend it nearly killed me. It took me years to try it again. Now I can't stand a sweet topped aro and I love a slow burning, creamy bowl of Latakia heavy tobacco. I was turned on to Syrian latakia and it's so much smoother than Cypriot. Unfortunately it's no longer available and I have to ration my remaining supply. Try mixing it with some mild black tobaccos. If you enjoy adult beverages try it with a glass of port.

Itz

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
All I can taste in English blends is a weird, rotten-sweet rancid butter note mixed with the essence of a charcoal briquet that’s spent 24 hours marinating in a sweaty hobo armpit. The two I’ve tried were Philosopher’s Blend and Sherlock’s Choice from the local Tinderbox, if that matters.

I almost bought SPC Plum Pudding and SPC Mississippi Mud on the same trip, but when the clerk presented the jar for a smell test, I just couldn’t get past the overwhelming “Pa burnt down his barbecue joint for the insurance money” and “asphalt truck barreling into out of control tire fire” tin notes.

A hobo armpit that's sweaty to boot... Ouch..

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Latakia has a finicky relationship with me over the course of 44 years with the pipe. During that time I've repeatedly gone through cycles of love, like, and dislike/hate. Currently in a like phase but find that's only true if I restrict my smoking of latakia blends to once per day at night. Tending to think that once my 2 latakia blends, (about 3/4 pounds total left), are gone, will probably not buy any for awhile again.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm a self confessed lover of Latakia, although my first smoke with it was nearly my last. I'd been an aromatic smoker and when I tried my first English blend it nearly killed me. It took me years to try it again. Now I can't stand a sweet topped aro and I love a slow burning, creamy bowl of Latakia heavy tobacco. I was turned on to Syrian latakia and it's so much smoother than Cypriot. Unfortunately it's no longer available and I have to ration my remaining supply. Try mixing it with some mild black tobaccos. If you enjoy adult beverages try it with a glass of port.

I think many of us are like this. Some how our taste buds just flip. I wouldn't touch English blends for 20 years, with or without Latakia. Then one day, boom! It's all I craved. 10 years later, non-Latakia English 's were included. I think it has something to do with Kate Beckensale.

You realize when England can invent such fabulous things like Charatans, Upshalls, Ferndowns, Barnes pipes, etc. along with McLarens, Brooks bike seats, the steam engine, the tin cans, the BAD Mono, the tank, the modern industrial loom, reflecting telescope, etc... You have figure their tobaccos that have been around for 150 years will be pretty good.

Then they go and destroy the competition by releasing a Kate Beckesale without even trying and without any warning and you just know their Gawith's and Germains are going to rock.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
All I can taste in English blends is a weird, rotten-sweet rancid butter note mixed with the essence of a charcoal briquet that’s spent 24 hours marinating in a sweaty hobo armpit. The two I’ve tried were Philosopher’s Blend and Sherlock’s Choice from the local Tinderbox, if that matters.

I almost bought SPC Plum Pudding and SPC Mississippi Mud on the same trip, but when the clerk presented the jar for a smell test, I just couldn’t get past the overwhelming “Pa burnt down his barbecue joint for the insurance money” and “asphalt truck barreling into out of control tire fire” tin notes.
So, you really do like Latakia, don'tcha? rotf rotf rotf

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

That's a pretty good description, especially the sweaty hobo armpit!

Reactions: Misanthrope
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I'm trying to understand Latakia. I've smoked several English blends and have enjoyed most of them. When I read tobacco reviews, words like grassy, hay, leather, fruity, figs, raisins, spicy, earthy, and many others are often used in a single description of a blend. Clearly, my palate is not sophisticated enough to separate all those nuances, which brings me to the topic of Latakia. To me, Latakia is a lot like cilantro. When either one is present, that's all I taste. It overwhelms everything else. Am I the only one who has had this experience? How does one train (if there is such a thing) the palate to detect and enjoy the individual components of a blend?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
If all Englishes are tasting the same, I would say pick one and smoke only that one for a while. After that, you’ll probably pick up on the differences between it and other English blends.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think longer you have been smoking, better your senses become, at least for being able to detect things in smoke. Surprisingly, retrohale is now making sense. I still can't tell everything that's in the smoke, but recognize whole lot more. I smoke only a bowl a day, but usually don't smoke same blend two days in a row. Latakia has very strong flavor, but the "strength" goes down as it settles in a jar. Even after few days from being opened from tin, you will notice change in the latakia. You should be able to notice different tobacco then. But I think everyone's little different in how they find latakia to their palettes.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm trying to understand Latakia. I've smoked several English blends and have enjoyed most of them. When I read tobacco reviews, words like grassy, hay, leather, fruity, figs, raisins, spicy, earthy, and many others are often used in a single description of a blend. Clearly, my palate is not sophisticated enough to separate all those nuances, which brings me to the topic of Latakia. To me, Latakia is a lot like cilantro. When either one is present, that's all I taste. It overwhelms everything else. Am I the only one who has had this experience? How does one train (if there is such a thing) the palate to detect and enjoy the individual components of a blend?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

"Latakia" blends bring a lot of nostalgia for campfires and barnyards, if you don't have any experience with either I can see it being very difficult to pin down what you're smelling.