Anyone Remember Or Use The Frank Method Of Pipe Packing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The Frank method is fine until you learn the far superior Logs Method. Tobacco is shoveled into the bowl until you have as much as you feel like smoking and then you light it on fire with a Bic lighter and carry on with whatever you happen to be doing.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I'll never use it, but I still find the physics of this method interesting. On one hand, beginners often need some sort of method, and on the other, it's neat to imagine the forces you are building while packing the tobacco. I never really thought about it, but the forces must be down and sideways, and this method actually considers that.

I think the easiest way to teach pipe packing is to explain the result, rather than the technique. You want the pressure even, top to bottom, but remember that the bottom gets tighter as you pack.

I think anyone with a functioning cerebellum can figure that out in whatever way by feel.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I think I've tried every method I could find from every pipe smoker and every self professed pipe pro. Including the FM. Sure, it works if you do it just right but I don't like that it uses more tobacco than I want to smoke at one sitting. I guess everyone has a different method that works for them and not for others. I finally settled on just filling loosely to the top, packing once with very light pressure and lighting up. That provides me with the best smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.