Why Is Capstan So Much More Expensive Than Orlik?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've smoked a lot of OGS but never had Capstan, they seem similar ...how do the two differ?
Orlik is a bright virginia, sweet with citrus notes that are enhanced by the bergamot topping. And apparently some perique, which eludes my tastebuds.
Capstan is darker virginia, also sweet, but with very little citrus, more bread and dried fruit, topping maybe molasses and tonquin, very subtly applied.
I don't find them very similar at all.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Orlik is a bright virginia, sweet with citrus notes that are enhanced by the bergamot topping. And apparently some perique, which eludes my tastebuds.
Capstan is darker virginia, also sweet, but with very little citrus, more bread and dried fruit, topping maybe molasses and tonquin, very subtly applied.

Nice, thanks for the insight --I need to try some Capstan! Sounds lovely.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
It’s most similar to FVF IMO

I don't chase blends but one of these days I have to get some FVF. I have turned into a Virginia Monster and it seems to pop up on all the 'must try' lists. ...I hear murmurings in the dark that it may become available again over here but I'm not holding my breath.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
It’s most similar to FVF IMO

I don't chase blends but one of these days I have to get some FVF. I have turned into a Virginia Monster and it seems to pop up on all the 'must try' lists. ...I hear murmurings in the dark that that it might become more available but I am not holding my breath.

And, def reccomend trying OGS, @olkofri! :)

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I buy my tobacco in Denmark. Capstan and OGS cost the same there. Where I buy it, OGS actually costs a little bit more.
That is because there is anti smoking legislation, intentionally driving prices up to keep people from smoking. So prices in Denmark are not indicative of demand or popularity of a blend. An OTC is only marginally cheaper than tinned blends.
This is not intended to start a discussion on legislation.
The situation with prices more driven by tax is the same here in Australia.

A 50g pouch of Captain Black costs the same as 50g of Full Virginia Plug, about $100 Australian (USD$73). The tobacco excise has just gone up by another 30%, driving the price up further again.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The situation with prices more driven by tax is the same here in Australia.

A 50g pouch of Captain Black costs the same as 50g of Full Virginia Plug, about $100 Australian (USD$73). The tobacco excise has just gone up by another 30%, driving the price up further again.
I think you have it worse than anyone else. I'm very sorry for you man.

Reactions: PipesRock and BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Agreed. They're not even distant cousins to me.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I think you have it worse than anyone else. I'm very sorry for you man.
Luckily I'm pretty well stocked by now. I picked up some FVP and St James Flake and that will be it for me I think. I may pick up the occasional tin when travelling internationally, but that'll be it.

It appears they are trying to kill smoking altogether, which shouldn't be far off with these crazy prices...?

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
The reason anything is more expensive is because people will buy it at that price. I bet if no one paid the price, it would be less expensive. Quality or better than.... makes no difference when it comes to pricing anything. Including Capstan.

Reactions: karam and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.