High-End Pipes - Do They Improve the Smoking Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
My grandfather taught me something about high end pipes, though he wasn't a pipe smoker.

Each Thanksgiving, he always had a 3 pound turkey leg on his plate. Before tucking in, he'd bellow with laughter and say "I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight!?"

Having a high end pipe is a lot like that.

I sort of get that ... in my opinion, and by a high end pipe understanding a pipe that is fetching a price somewhere north of $500, I consider these items to be more than a smoking instrument. While I can appreciate a fine looking piece of art, that also has practical use, I wouldn't necessarily consider them better than a fine engineered working horse pipe that goes for less bucks. Above a certain price level, and this is solely my opinion, a high end pipe becomes a collector's item more than a smoker's item. An artisan's pipe may be a fine smoker and a fine piece of craftsmanship, pleasing to the eye, but in as far as smoking capabilities you can get a similar experience from a less expensive piece - granted it won't look as posh.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How many people here buy a Toyota Corolla and drive it 300K to 500K miles till it totally quits? Those are very nice cars that provide a very reliable ride with great gas mileage. However, many if not most drive something nicer/bigger and more luxurious than a Corolla. And don't drive it till it drops. And even take 6 and 7 year payment plans and get upside down on it. How does that make any sense whatsoever?

Few people are totally pragmatic enough to purchase based solely on practicality. If someone were to spend double to triple the cost of a basic automobile, why is it difficult to imagine they'd spend a few hundred to a thousand dollars more for a pipe? And look at it this way. Let's say you buy 10 pipes @ $400 each vs 10 at $100 each. That's $3,000 additional spent for minimal added functionality. Sounds like a lot, right? But over 5 years, that's $600 per year. Over 10 years, it's $300 per year or $25 per month. Over 20 years, it's $150 per year. In my mind, spending $500 on a pipe isn't impractical when you look at it in that light. Frankly, what's impractical is buying 50, 100, 200 or more pipes regardless of what you pay for them. The fact is, most things we purchase are not done for practical reasons.

How can any sane person argue the practicality of purchasing a device that is practically guaranteed to shorten your life somewhat? We buy expensive pipes for the same reason a dog licks it's own balls ... because he can. @BROBS , now don't go trying that, you'll just end up having to go to the chiropractor.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Logic would seem to suggest that a pipe is either well drilled / engineered or it isn't. It would stand to reason that if Peterson and Savinelli (for example) didn't deliver good pipes, that smoked well, they wouldn't be wildly popular.
They’re both very popular, and have both put out awful pipes.
I wouldn’t hazard to guess what percent were awful, but it’s a chance you take that with a factory pipe that really is minimized when dealing with an established artisan.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My grandfather taught me something about high end pipes, though he wasn't a pipe smoker.

Each Thanksgiving, he always had a 3 pound turkey leg on his plate. Before tucking in, he'd bellow with laughter and say "I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight!?"

Having a high end pipe is a lot like that.
SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PERSON I SEE WHERE YOU GET IT

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I don't think you will notice a difference between a smoke from a high end pipe and that of a lower end pipe unless you have a pipe that is drilled improperly or has major flaws that affect smoking quality. Any high end pipes I've had were purchased for looks, style, artistic endeavor and design more than for a guaranteed, incredible smoke.

I don't think looks or price matter much when it comes to smoking quality. Of course a well drilled pipe is better than a badly drilled pipe and with a higher end pipe you stand less of a chance of getting a badly drilled pipe but there are many perfectly drilled low end pipes around.
More important is the quality of the tobacco and how to pack it in a way that no matter how much "high end" or "low end" of a pipe you are smoking, it will be a good smoke.
And there is the possibility that smoking a pipe that you paid $1000 does provide a different experience mentally and that might affect your enjoyment.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke mostly artisan made pipes. Almost all of them are from American artisans like Rad Davis, Jack Howell, Brian Ruthenberg, Bruce Weaver, Trever Talbert and many more. I have around 60 artisan made pipes that have many things in common. Hand made comfortable Ebonite stems are a must. Properly drilled with shank dimensions of around 4.0-4.5 mm. Most of my pipes are a group 4-5 which holds a nice sized folded and stuffed flake which gives me a cool, dry, flavorful smoke almost every time,

I have found that estate pipes in the 200.00 range and new pipes in the 300-400.00 from certain artisans gives me as good and better quality smoking experiences than any 1000.00-2000.00 priced pipe I have ever smoked. I have also smoked some factory pipes from the likes of Castello, Pre Transition Barlings, 1960's Dunhills and other Italian and Danish made pipes that were all very good smokers.

The number one reason I get a quality smoke almost every time out is because of the criteria I have for buying the pipes that I do and because of the types of tobacco I smoke that is designed for the pipes I choose. When I look at a pipe to buy I ask myself how well will that pipe smoke my favorite flakes and plugs. Are the walls thick enough, is the inside depth of the pipe in a certain range. Is the weight of the pipe in a certain range and is the stem going to be well made and comfortable.

There are many things that come into play when trying to get a great smoke every time out. It takes a long time to learn what you like about a certain pipe and a certain blend. Many people call pipe smoking an art as there are many things that have to come together to get that great smoke almost every time. Patience is a key factor, paying attention to what you did at one time and duplicating it each time out will give you a consistent great smoking experience and it all becomes just a natural thing to do and you don't have to think about anything but lighting your pipe and then just puffing away.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
The bit/button, as has been mentioned. This is becoming more and more of a big deal for me. I'm considering paying to shrink and smooth the button on my 60.00 Rossi Lucca 8111. While not collectible, for a total investment under 150.00 it might just wind up high end to me.

64alex

May 10, 2016
You need to define by yourself what are you expecting from an high end pipe as mechanical properties/functionality and aesthetic.
I would say than anything above 300 $ is just aesthetic so if you are willing to go above that figure you have to justify to yourself for the aesthetic. Below that figure you can have similar quality from a 50$ unfinished Savinelli or a 300$ artisan pipe with the likelihood to get a great pipe higher at the higher end of the spectrum.
I would say that more than thinking in terms of how much you can gain for an high end pipe is how much you can loose from a cheap poorly constructed pipe and on this regard for example it is likely more risky purchasing a 50 $ unbranded meer than a 300 branded meer such as an Altinok.
If you are still at the beginning of your pipe journey my suggestion is if you want to get a nice pipe which smoke well staying at around the 300 $ top level, but you could get something similar good also for much less.

As it was said technique is much more important than equipment and probably it is better in this challenging regulatory environment to invest mainly in the tobacco.

Reactions: ArtAraya

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
If you are getting enjoyment now out of your pipes then is t necessary? I sometimes find my cob or clay pipe hit the spot just right. I'd say work your way up and grab a nice estate for 100$ or so(the old stanwells are consistent quality) and see if you want to take it a step further. Often the high end pipes are for aesthetic/art or mojo purposes and might not technically give you a better smoke.

Plus if you only have 2 pipes now, it wouldn't hurt to grab a third, and then fourth, if you want to make the leap to a really pricey pipe.