PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Do any of you own an amber-stemmed Dunhill pipe? I would like to know what sort of fitment they were using around 1920. The normal method that other pipe makers were using was a screw tenon made of bone. I have heard of, but not seen, a method where a vulcanite tenon is screwed into the amber and then attaches to the stummel in the conventional way. The stem on my pipe is does not rotate with gentle pressure. I do not wish to risk breaking the delicate amber merely to satisfy a curiosity.

After weeks of watching my package languish in US Customs in Chicago, I was finally able to hold and inspect the 1920 cased, amber-stemmed, roughly group 3, shape 24, "A" finish (first grade Bruyere) billiard. I'll post some proper photos later, but here is a quick preview.

IMG_20200808_091258.jpg

This pipe was previously discussed immediately after I had won the auction. The amber stem lacks a white dot, despite the The White Spot logo in the case. A friend is under the impression that the spot was sometimes placed on the tenon of early amber-stemmed Dunhill pipes. He shared a photo of a two-pipe cased set of similar pipes which similarly lacked a white dot. I have asked George Dibos, Ronni B, Chuck Gray (the retired expert amber repairman), Adam Davidson, and Rich Esserman about this and none had any actual knowledge to share, but Ronni B shared that if the registration is excellent, it is almost certainly original.

Well, the registration is excellent. There is virtually no gap between the shank face and the face of the stem. It appears to be very slightly over-rotated, but based upon the fit and the general fine condition of the pipe and case, I'm feeling fairly confident that the stem is original.

Here's the thing. I would love to see that fitment, because if there is a white dot there, it would be rather unique and interesting. Knowing the type of fitment would help me to know which direction to turn and how much resistance to expect. Even armed with that knowledge, I'll still probably be too cautious to apply sufficient pressure. So, I'll probably just smoke it and hope that a combination of use and environmental conditions somehow free it up. In any case, I'd like to know which direction to twist. Thanks!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I believe I have seen white spots on tenons somewhere...you are in a tricky predicament. Perhaps there is a way to secure something along the whole surface of the stem, so that the force of a gentle rotation would be spread out over the whole stem? That might be the safest barbarian’s way to try to give it a gentle twist?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Gorgeous pipe!

Barling used a vulcanite tenon which threaded into the amber. The earliest I have is from 1912. I don't currently have access to those pictures as my personal workstation has been mothballed while I use the workstation that Warner Animation supplied to me.
As soon as Warners pushes me out the airlock I'll set up my workstation and find those pictures.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Do any of you own an amber-stemmed Dunhill pipe? I would like to know what sort of fitment they were using around 1920. The normal method that other pipe makers were using was a screw tenon made of bone. I have heard of, but not seen, a method where a vulcanite tenon is screwed into the amber and then attaches to the stummel in the conventional way. The stem on my pipe is does not rotate with gentle pressure. I do not wish to risk breaking the delicate amber merely to satisfy a curiosity.

After weeks of watching my package languish in US Customs in Chicago, I was finally able to hold and inspect the 1920 cased, amber-stemmed, roughly group 3, shape 24, "A" finish (first grade Bruyere) billiard. I'll post some proper photos later, but here is a quick preview.

View attachment 38990

This pipe was previously discussed immediately after I had won the auction. The amber stem lacks a white dot, despite the The White Spot logo in the case. A friend is under the impression that the spot was sometimes placed on the tenon of early amber-stemmed Dunhill pipes. He shared a photo of a two-pipe cased set of similar pipes which similarly lacked a white dot. I have asked George Dibos, Ronni B, Chuck Gray (the retired expert amber repairman), Adam Davidson, and Rich Esserman about this and none had any actual knowledge to share, but Ronni B shared that if the registration is excellent, it is almost certainly original.

Well, the registration is excellent. There is virtually no gap between the shank face and the face of the stem. It appears to be very slightly over-rotated, but based upon the fit and the general fine condition of the pipe and case, I'm feeling fairly confident that the stem is original.

Here's the thing. I would love to see that fitment, because if there is a white dot there, it would be rather unique and interesting. Knowing the type of fitment would help me to know which direction to turn and how much resistance to expect. Even armed with that knowledge, I'll still probably be too cautious to apply sufficient pressure. So, I'll probably just smoke it and hope that a combination of use and environmental conditions somehow free it up. In any case, I'd like to know which direction to twist. Thanks!

Beautiful pipe Craig. I can't help you with the fitment but I do sympathise about the amber. I have one of the recent Peterson amber stem pipes and I do have to be a tad careful with the handling for fear of chipping or cracking it.
Amber certainly is a gorgeous material for a stem though. It feels nice in the mouth as well, sort of organic and warm.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A lovely pipe just don't drop it! Amber is a wonderful stem material but not very forgiving. Enjoy the pipe whilst sitting in an arch chair.

Reactions: BROBS

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There's a well known collector in NY who is mildly famous for X-raying his pipes. (Why? Because he likes the resulting images, and simply because he can. He manages a hospital group.)

You probably know him, Craig. If not, I'll PM his name & contact info.

I'm sure he'd indulge your desire to "see inside" your pipe with a smile.

An X-ray would definitely show whether the tenon was threaded, which WAY it was threaded (L or R) maybe if there's a dot on it, and doubtless other Cool Shit.

At the very least you'd have a nice conversation piece image to put on the wall above your rack. puffy

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
There's a well known collector in NY who is mildly famous for X-raying his pipes. (Why? Because he likes the resulting images, and simply because he can. He manages a hospital group.)

You probably know him, Craig. If not, I'll PM his name & contact info.

I'm sure he'd indulge your desire to "see inside" your pipe with a smile.

An X-ray would definitely show whether the tenon was threaded, which WAY it was threaded (L or R) maybe if there's a dot on it, and doubtless other Cool Shit.

At the very least you'd have a nice conversation piece image to put on the wall above your rack. puffy

As an added plus you’ll also be able to tell if your pipe has any polyps.

Status
Not open for further replies.