PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
does anybody have a clue what on earth is bubinga wood? My birthday was last week, and we have celbrated in Bulgaria by the Black Sea. We met with a family there, fridns of ours, also romanians and they gifted me this bubingq wood pipe, knowing that I like my pipes. It doesn't look high end nor the cheap low end either, it is OK quality wise. I haven't smoked it since I only brought cigars with me on this trip, but I figured I should ask our community first any say. So what is this bubinga ?

P.s. the box says designed in phoenix arizona, and the brand is called "Raw".

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I have smoked, and enjoyed pipes made from Olive, Bocote, Ebony. Many of these hard, exotic woods, can be used as an alternative to the more traditional Briar. I have noticed very little, if any, actual (not imagined) difference when comparing the these woods to Briar. Bubinga is probably just as good. Try it...you might like it. Oak and Cherry are also used to make pipes.

Corn Cob and Brylon ..... gave me two of my worst smoking experiences..... I expected more from the much touted Corn Cob. It tasted like heated plastic and burned shellac. It went into the garbage. The vintage Brylon, made from a plastic resin (probably Bakelite, or other phenolic) smoked red hot, wet, and wasn't worth the effort. It went into the garbage, too.

Good luck with the Bubinga pipe. Let us know what you think about your new pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since a member in the relatively small Forums demographic has had allergic response to this wood, I wouldn't smoke it. Probably with a carbon layer, it would never cause a problem, but allergies are tricky. I have a cocobolo pipe that raises the same kind of questions. It hasn't caused problems, but it is a pocket pipe I don't smoke a lot. It is more a concern in working this wood and inhaling the dust. However, it sure is fun to say Bubinga.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
The company Raw makes rolling papers and various accoutrements for pot smoking, so I'd guess your pipe isn't meant for tobacco. Bubinga is gorgeous, and it sounds great - I have a snare drum wrapped with a couple layers of it.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Sorry for the late delay, I am still on vacation and Internet is not that good around here. I will post a pic as soon as I get back, it is a paneled pipe, quite nice looking, with a 9 mm filter.. so inguess it was meant for smlking (pipe tobacco that is), although since i am alergic to several things I am jot sure I would give it a try.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
It *is* a little toxic & some do get allergies from it. From what I remember it's a little hard to carve too. When I worked for Tinder Box eons ago a guy we just knew as "the bubinga wood man" would come by a couple of times a year & boss Jim would buy a few of his more interesting pieces. Can't remember what we'd charge for them. Never bought one myself.