Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I think about giving up all tobacco use all the time. I think the only reason I haven't done so is smoking my pipe relaxes me and helps me not think about my problems. I too have health problems that would improve if I didn't smoke, but I'd probably be a horrible person to be around and that's just not me. I'm a very layed back person who enjoys laughter and I think that would leave me if I quit. I support you in your decision and hope you'll at least stick around. We'll leave the light on for you.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Since my ill health I've been struggling with a pipe due to breathlessness & the tobacco hasn't tasted the same.
I've been cutting down on the number of bowls I've been smoking, but sadly I'm forced to discontinue.
I will continue to follow the forum hopefully.
As everyone else has said, we wish you best of health! I can tell you a couple of things from personal experience which may help.

These days I only smoke outside and I live in the NE US so weather is a restriction. Realistically I smoke almost once daily in the summer but much less in Spring and Fall and zero in the winter. I also have respiratory challenges at times in the summer have to take a break.

Once, in late May, I ended up with pneumonia. I recovered quickly from being ill, though it was a bit scary. It took me a long time to recover breath capacity, and I really mourned the month of July which would normally have been prime pipe smoking time.

The reality is that as much as I love smoking pipe, and it is truly a favorite activity for me and, as others have mentioned, helps alleviate stress, life goes on when I can’t. It’s easier to deal with when I’m not smoking regularly. If I have to skip a day or two in the summer, I miss it but the other times it’s much easier. In other seasons I have an occasional smoke, weather permitting and that may be something that would suit you in the future. For now, take a break. You may come back to it, or not, but you can manage. We love pipes but when we can’t partake we put that time and energy towards other things.

Wishing you the best always.

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
As everyone else has said, we wish you best of health! I can tell you a couple of things from personal experience which may help.

These days I only smoke outside and I live in the NE US so weather is a restriction. Realistically I smoke almost once daily in the summer but much less in Spring and Fall and zero in the winter. I also have respiratory challenges at times in the summer have to take a break.

Once, in late May, I ended up with pneumonia. I recovered quickly from being ill, though it was a bit scary. It took me a long time to recover breath capacity, and I really mourned the month of July which would normally have been prime pipe smoking time.

The reality is that as much as I love smoking pipe, and it is truly a favorite activity for me and, as others have mentioned, helps alleviate stress, life goes on when I can’t. It’s easier to deal with when I’m not smoking regularly. If I have to skip a day or two in the summer, I miss it but the other times it’s much easier. In other seasons I have an occasional smoke, weather permitting and that may be something that would suit you in the future. For now, take a break. You may come back to it, or not, but you can manage. We love pipes but when we can’t partake we put that time and energy towards other things.

Wishing you the best always.
Thank you sir, for the kind advice from your experience of ill health, & I wish you the best of health.
The breathlessness is due to heart failure and will not improve, & the side effects of the 13 tablets I take upset the taste. As you say after a break I may find I can smoke a bowl or two when well enough . I have smoked a pipe for 40 years and it has been my main way of relaxing whilst doing other things, whether lunting with the dogs on long walks, reading, making music or watching or listening to the media. Time will tell.
Every blessing for your well wishes gentlemen.

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
I think about giving up all tobacco use all the time. I think the only reason I haven't done so is smoking my pipe relaxes me and helps me not think about my problems. I too have health problems that would improve if I didn't smoke, but I'd probably be a horrible person to be around and that's just not me. I'm a very layed back person who enjoys laughter and I think that would leave me if I quit. I support you in your decision and hope you'll at least stick around. We'll leave the light on for you.
A man after my own heart sir. There is nothing as relaxing as a pipe for conviviality & comraderie.
I no longer have a wee dram of anything & now no pipe. But only the dog has to put up with any grumpiness that results