PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Man, they even managed to kill the rectangle tins on Kingfisher! It’s definitely a different blend and like many other tobaccos it can take several bowls before developing an appreciation. It’s not in your face and has a pretty unique flavor profile.

Looks like all the Germain-produced blends have round tins now. It's not as elegant looking as the old square tins but solves other problems they were having. It will certainly make it easy to date the square Germain tins as being pre 2020.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Looks like all the Germain-produced blends have round tins now. It's not as elegant looking as the old square tins but solves other problems they were having. It will certainly make it easy to date the square Germain tins as being pre 2020.
The round tins are better for aging. My square tins definitely don't hold moisture.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
What does it sell for? I have a few tins of it, including the original Butera product. I think I spent $25 per tin on the secondary market.
I bought a number of vintage tins years ago before the second hand, estate, vintage tobacco market got busy. You could pick up the stuff cheap as it was second hand tobacco that somebody was dumping. Kinda surprises me when I see an enameled tin of Escudo go for between $120 and $140. I paid around $20 for mine.

I don’t remember exactly how much, but I remember thinking it was expensive. And it sells out quickly.

Jesse, you’re beginning to sound like one of those stereotypical boomers that brags about how well they did. “Back in the 80s I bought this house for $100,000! Now it’s worth over $1,000,000! I did so well for myself.“ Haha

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks for the thought. I love LNF and it's s a regular in my rotation, but I'm looking for more of a straight Virginia or at least a Virginia-forward blend, rather than a spicy Va/Per like LNF.

EDIT: and I realize this is an Esoterica thread, and basically the opposite of "readily available" but even so, I'm all ears for VA Flake recommendations, please pardon my off topic posts puffy
Have you tried Amphora VA? Not a flake but more like a partially rubbed out flake but I find it to be extremely underrated... looks like SPC is a having a 15% off sale on Amphora too!

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
The round tins are better for aging. My square tins definitely don't hold moisture.

That’s interesting. I haven’t found that but the seals are much more reliable on screw top tins. I had 2 tins of Kingfisher pop their seals (rectangle tin) without me realizing. Other than that, any square tins I’ve open have had standard moisture levels.

Reactions: wyfbane and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Donate it to The Metropolitan Museum of Art. They'll hang it on a wall. ;)
Then others can stare at it like Cameron from Ferris Bueller.
1*8-lwcCnxMySyBIoJ-qXYyw.jpeg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Have you tried Amphora VA? Not a flake but more like a partially rubbed out flake but I find it to be extremely underrated... looks like SPC is a having a 15% off sale on Amphora too!

I have not, though I've heard Amphora blends mentioned more lately. I'm not in any way stuck on flakes... I rub the flakes out before smoking so they're like a ribbon cut anyhow. I will keep Amphora VA in mind. Thanks for the recommendation.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have not, though I've heard Amphora blends mentioned more lately. I'm not in any way stuck on flakes... I rub the flakes out before smoking so they're like a ribbon cut anyhow. I will keep Amphora VA in mind. Thanks for the recommendation.
it's like a semi-ready rubbed.. it's a good VA. Especially for the price.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That’s interesting. I haven’t found that but the seals are much more reliable on screw top tins. I had 2 tins of Kingfisher pop their seals (rectangle tin) without me realizing. Other than that, any square tins I’ve open have had standard moisture levels.
They're good for perhaps 7 years and then watch out. With a round tin, the seal pressure can be equalized all along it's circumference, but with square and rectangular tins, no way. It's strongest at the corners.

Most of these tins are slowly leaking from the get go. Here's a simple way to prove this. Take a number of your square and rectangular tins and place them in a tupperware container with a tight sealing top and leave them for a few weeks. Put the Virginias together in one container and English/Orientals in a different one. Then pop the top and take a sniff. You'll smell the tobaccos. They're leaking out of the "sealed" tins.

Over time the pressure equalizes and the seal fails. That's one reason that I don't spend money on vintage tobaccos that come in rectangular tins that are older than 10 years. The percentage of failures goes up.

Greg Pease wrote about this and no longer advocates leaving tobaccos to age in these tins, bur recommends immediate transfer to jars for long term aging. He found too many failures in his own cellar.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
They're good for perhaps 7 years and then watch out. With a round tin, the seal pressure can be equalized all along it's circumference, but with square and rectangular tins, no way. It's strongest at the corners.

Most of these tins are slowly leaking from the get go. Here's a simple way to prove this. Take a number of your square and rectangular tins and place them in a tupperware container with a tight sealing top and leave them for a few weeks. Put the Virginias together in one container and English/Orientals in a different one. Then pop the top and take a sniff. You'll smell the tobaccos. They're leaking out of the "sealed" tins.

Over time the pressure equalizes and the seal fails. That's one reason that I don't spend money on vintage tobaccos that come in rectangular tins that are older than 10 years. The percentage of failures goes up.

Greg Pease wrote about this and no longer advocates leaving tobaccos to age in these tins, bur recommends immediate transfer to jars for long term aging. He found too many failures in his own cellar.
I can agree.. I have some Sam Gawith Christmas blend (2 tins) and it ghosts everything around it with cinnamon :ROFLMAO:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can agree.. I have some Sam Gawith Christmas blend (2 tins) and it ghosts everything around it with cinnamon :ROFLMAO:
I had a couple of shelves of tobacco tins in a closet that otherwise held linens. The smell from those "sealed" square and rectangular tins permeated all of the linens and I had to launder all of it and relocate the tins.