Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I don’t inhale intentionally. But I do notice I do accidentally a bit sometimes when lighting up. Worse when I go hands free doing something and not paying attention. I try not to, and only smoke outside. For lung tightness someone mentioned, nic is a vascular constrictor. That could be a contributing factor.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I'm originally a tobacco chewer so I have no
need to inhale and never do. If I accidentally inhale I cough it up. I understand how difficult it would be not to inhale though. Sometimes I'll ask my wife to take a sip of my pipe and she will inhale with out thinking.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I don’t know enough about the residual air in the sinuses, so I can’t speak to that. All I know of the system is about the flap separating the oral cavity from the esophagus that would block the direct smoke. I can share a little about the breathing problem you mention. When I have quit cigarettes in the past I have also felt a greater tightening. From what I was able to find in my research, it was suggested that it was actually the opposite. Addiction, for lack of a better known statement, changes the wiring of your brain. The brain wants it, so on a level we aren’t conscious of it tricks our sensations to tell us we need it.

smoke itself causes a restriction. When we eliminate that and are able to take in more air that sensation of more air is interpreted as not having enough. Much like many of the times we feel hungry, we are actually thirsty, our bodies only have a limited number of sensations available to tell us something is different.

I quit cigarettes back in 2012 and took up running. Four years later I was running 12 miles a week (and still coughing a bit) and every time I was at rest with a low heartbeat and took a big breath I had the sensation of lacking enough air. It reduced a bit from immediately after quoting with no exposure to cigarettes, so I would guess each cigarette could “reset” the level of desire. It sticks around at least that long.

Of course I started smoking cigarettes again in 2017 due to the stresses of losing a child. So I’m at somewhere around a pack and a half a day. That’s why I am moving back to pipes again (smoked pipes back in college). I like pipes and want to quit cigarettes, but don’t want to start running again. My body was never built for it, and I now have “exercise induced” asthma. Which stinks, and also feels like another restriction.

Sorry, I have been known at times to be long in the wind...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've only ever smoked a pipe and cigars. I've never purposely inhaled either of them. I do retrohale both for the flavor complexity it brings. I haven't had an issue with lung capacity. I play ice hockey 4 times a week and I'm never wheezing or coughing because I can't get enough air into my lungs.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don’t know enough about the residual air in the sinuses, so I can’t speak to that. All I know of the system is about the flap separating the oral cavity from the esophagus that would block the direct smoke. I can share a little about the breathing problem you mention. When I have quit cigarettes in the past I have also felt a greater tightening. From what I was able to find in my research, it was suggested that it was actually the opposite. Addiction, for lack of a better known statement, changes the wiring of your brain. The brain wants it, so on a level we aren’t conscious of it tricks our sensations to tell us we need it.

smoke itself causes a restriction. When we eliminate that and are able to take in more air that sensation of more air is interpreted as not having enough. Much like many of the times we feel hungry, we are actually thirsty, our bodies only have a limited number of sensations available to tell us something is different.

I quit cigarettes back in 2012 and took up running. Four years later I was running 12 miles a week (and still coughing a bit) and every time I was at rest with a low heartbeat and took a big breath I had the sensation of lacking enough air. It reduced a bit from immediately after quoting with no exposure to cigarettes, so I would guess each cigarette could “reset” the level of desire. It sticks around at least that long.

Of course I started smoking cigarettes again in 2017 due to the stresses of losing a child. So I’m at somewhere around a pack and a half a day. That’s why I am moving back to pipes again (smoked pipes back in college). I like pipes and want to quit cigarettes, but don’t want to start running again. My body was never built for it, and I now have “exercise induced” asthma. Which stinks, and also feels like another restriction.

Sorry, I have been known at times to be long in the wind...

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry you've been through a tough time. Good luck with your efforts to quit the Cigarettes. That's intresting about the chest tightness. I've noticed when quitting in the past, that my cough was worse without the smokes.. at least at first.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I inhale accidentally a lot more than I care to admit. But most is from the outside smoke coming up to my face. Like going on a walk, or riding the lawn mower.

I've only intentionally inhaled less than ten times in 8 years I've been smoking. But I'm also a chain cig smoker, so I don't need to inhale.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I do intentionally between 0 and 6 times per bowl. But I only smoke about a bowl a week (except moose season, and apparently this week, as its been a tough one).

I use tobacco free nic pouches all day, but there’s something about that throat hit and immediate nic boost that just calls to me.

As far as accidental inhalation, very little, especially since I smoke almost exclusively outside. A few wafts of room note (wind note?) max.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I hardly if at all, perhaps involuntarily on a rare occasion, or what I inhale through my nose in a passive form. The urge is there though ... I am still struggling, some say not enough, with cigarettes which I exclusively smoke whenever I have a few beers, and during the summer time that could be quite often during a week.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I never inhale. I do a few retrohales every bowl though to get the full aroma, but the smoke doesn't go to my lungs.

Don't feel anything in my lungs and I have never accidentally inhaled directly from the pipe. I started with cigars and pipes and have never smoked cigarettes (beyond trying them) so I don't have the instinct/need to inhale.

Nicotine absorption is much more pleasurable without inhaling too because is comes on slower and gives a more relaxing feeling.