PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you concede that we have literally evolved to become consumers of cooked meat as part of our diet, then I will consider the debate settled, at least as far as the evolutionary diet needs of homo sapiens goes.

There are plenty of moral arguments for vegetarianism / veganism, but the inescapable biological truth is that humans are omnivores, and the ideal diet will include some consumption of meat. Arguments that veganism is "healthier" for a person than a balanced omnivorous diet are basically propaganda.
I will disagree with your last statement. There are zero medical professionals who would agree (well, besides doctors who know a lot about ghost demons and our reptilian government).

Reactions: blues4goose

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you concede that we have literally evolved to become consumers of cooked meat as part of our diet, then I will consider the debate settled, at least as far as the evolutionary diet needs of homo sapiens goes.

There are plenty of moral arguments for vegetarianism / veganism, but the inescapable biological truth is that humans are omnivores, and the ideal diet will include some consumption of meat. Arguments that veganism is "healthier" for a person than a balanced omnivorous diet are basically propaganda.
Another fact checked article from a trusted source that apparently says otherwise. Look, you have to separate our culture and what’s familiar from real “needs”.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Hahahaha canine teeth??? Compare your teeth to a meat eating animal they aren’t even close. Try to bite through the skin of a deceased animal. I dare you. ?

This argument has zero scientific basis and a biologist would tell you the same.
Most biological anthropologists agree that our teeth morphology and relatively weak jaw muscles are the result of learning how to cook food, starting with Homo erectus.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Everything in moderation, nothing in excess. That's a reasonable way to live your life I think. If you look hard enough, you'll find studies and statistics that show just about everything people do can shorten their life span. How about this? Being miserable, unhappy and dissatisfied can definitely shorten your life. Hey, you think smoking a pipe adds years to your life?

I'm sorry but I have to chuckle when reading about a questionable or moderate health hazard on a pipe smoking forum. I find it hilarious when I see people 40 pounds and more overweight up in arms about wearing masks and being outspoken anti smoking Nazis but have no problem going to McDonalds and stuffing 2 double cheeseburgers and a large fry down their gullet. I think people should spend more time thinking about living happily and zero time thinking about dying.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That means they are no longer true canine teeth. Cooked meat is a product we created.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Would farm-raised salmon (for sustainability) be able to wean people off red meat eventually? I think it takes a lot of resources to raise and process meat. However, I don't know if fish farming is any better resource wise.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Everything in moderation, nothing in excess. That's a reasonable way to live your life I think. If you look hard enough, you'll find studies and statistics that show just about everything people do can shorten their life span. How about this? Being miserable, unhappy and dissatisfied can definitely shorten your life. Hey, you think smoking a pipe adds years to your life?

I'm sorry but I have to chuckle when reading about a questionable or moderate health hazard on a pipe smoking forum. I find it hilarious when I see people 40 pounds and more overweight up in arms about wearing masks and being outspoken anti smoking Nazis but have no problem going to McDonalds and stuffing 2 double cheeseburgers and a large fry down their gullet. I think people should spend more time thinking about living happily and zero time thinking about dying.
What they are saying is that there basically is no moderation with red meat. Ask my dad. He has 15 stents

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Would farm-raised salmon (for sustainability) be able to wean people off red meat eventually? I think it takes a lot of resources to raise and process meat. However, I don't know if fish farming is any better resource wise.
Nope. Plant based is the way to go. Most farmland raises food for..... the meat industry. The rest of the land? For the meat itself. If we grew actual consumable crops on our farmland we would have so much extra food we could export the shit out of it.

Jan 27, 2020

Probably not... I think those fish farms are bad polluters. I try only to buy wild salmon although more expensive and likely not sustainable.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.