PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Process food should be avoided that’s for sure. I try to limit my meat intake but will also say that beyond burger etc is really unhealthy too. Let’s alL try not to make the obituary pages prematurely... hard to enjoy your tobacco when you’re too stiff to operate a Bic.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Process food should be avoided that’s for sure. I try to limit my meat intake but will also say that beyond burger etc is really unhealthy too. Let’s alL try not to make the obituary pages prematurely... hard to enjoy your tobacco when you’re too stiff to operate a Bic.
Unhealthy yet without cholesterol to ruin your circulatory System.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
"Certain groups appeared to be more susceptible to specific meat types. For example, unprocessed red meat was “significantly” related to a risk of all-cause mortality for white people but not for black people. When the researchers looked specifically at the risk of cardiovascular disease mortality, they noted that this was only significant among women and black people."

Sounds like white men are in the clear to eat a steak without worrying too much about clogged arteries and heart disease, which has been the concern for years with red meat.

Though this article falls short of advocating veganism or vegetarianism, which recently has been rebranded as a "plant-based diet", there seem to be a lot of "scientific" information in recent years pushing in that direction, despite the obvious and readily-observable frailty of vegetarians, and our obvious canine teeth.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
"Certain groups appeared to be more susceptible to specific meat types. For example, unprocessed red meat was “significantly” related to a risk of all-cause mortality for white people but not for black people. When the researchers looked specifically at the risk of cardiovascular disease mortality, they noted that this was only significant among women and black people."

Sounds like white men are in the clear to eat a steak without worrying too much about clogged arteries and heart disease, which has been the concern for years with red meat.

Though this article falls short of advocating veganism or vegetarianism, which recently has been rebranded as a "plant-based diet", there seem to be a lot of "scientific" information in recent years pushing in that direction, despite the obvious and readily-observable frailty of vegetarians, and our obvious canine teeth.
Hahahaha canine teeth??? Compare your teeth to a meat eating animal they aren’t even close. Try to bite through the skin of a deceased animal. I dare you. ?

This argument has zero scientific basis and a biologist would tell you the same.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just nap while standing and you’ll be fine...
It works perfectly to sit in an office chair, face something like an email on the computer... cross your arms and sleep. Someone notices? BOOM you were reading an email.

though it kind of gives it away when they startle you and you jump.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Hahahaha canine teeth??? Compare your teeth to a meat eating animal they aren’t even close. Try to bite through the skin of a deceased animal. I dare you. ?

The oft-stated "deceased animal" comparison that vegetarianism advocates make is an apple-to-oranges comparison. No, we don't find unprocessed carcasses tasty because that's not what we've evolved to eat... the prevailing anthropological theory about the development of the brain in anatomically-modern and behaviorally-modern humans is that once our species harnessed fire, we were able to cook meat, and thereby increase our meat consumption, giving us the necessary fats and other nutrients to develop larger brains. The average jaw size of our species decreased proportionally as well. We've evolved to eat cooked meat and it has likely been a catalyst in the development of our species' intelligence.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The oft-stated "deceased animal" comparison that vegetarianism advocates make is an apple-to-oranges comparison. No, we don't find unprocessed carcasses tasty because that's not what we've evolved to eat... the prevailing anthropological theory about the development of the brain in anatomically-modern and behaviorally-modern humans is that once our species harnessed fire, we were able to cook meat, and thereby increase our meat consumption, giving us the necessary fats and other nutrients to develop larger brains. The average jaw size of our species decreased proportionally as well. We've evolved to eat cooked meat and it has likely been a catalyst in the development of our species' intelligence.
Correct. Yet not longer needed just like flint spears and furs.

trust me. Our brains are no longer growing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Susceptibility seems to be the key, and there's no way to know that beforehand at present. Obviously, there are people who die at advanced ages even by today's standards who do the things that are supposed to shorten life -- cigarettes, red meat, alcohol. My dad was certainly a meat eater and he lasted 89 years and some months, and liked gin martinis into his 80's and smoked pipes and cigars most of his teens and adulthood. Still, you have to respect the statistics that say people who do these things, as a group, don't live as long. I think people who grow up eating mostly vegetables train their bodies, as some people who go vegetarian later carefully do. People can get in bad trouble doing vegetarian diets even with good advice. The species as a whole is omnivorous, so no meat means educated substitutions. You have to have proteins and fats another way.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Correct. Yet not longer needed just like flint spears and furs.

If you concede that we have literally evolved to become consumers of cooked meat as part of our diet, then I will consider the debate settled, at least as far as the evolutionary diet needs of homo sapiens goes.

There are plenty of moral arguments for vegetarianism / veganism, but the inescapable biological truth is that humans are omnivores, and the ideal diet will include some consumption of meat. Arguments that veganism is "healthier" for a person than a balanced omnivorous diet are basically propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.