PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
It's no less a sport than anything else that people compete in. Bull riders may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they have giant cajones. Bronc riders are straight up cowboys. The speed events are high-speed and super fun to compete in. Team Roping has five animals involved and a lot of variables to account for in 4-5 seconds. It's all about your partnership with your horse, who is somewhere between your hardest working partner and your most-beloved pet. Maybe you should watch one before you say this IRL to the next bronc rider you meet. Oh wait, are you just a tough guy on the internet?

Don't make fun of anyone's chosen sport, because getting off your ass and competing is infinitely better than sitting on your ass eating bon-bons. Even if it's curling or lawn bowling or darts.
I would rather spend 8 seconds in the saddle than a lifetime in the stands.

Reactions: tkcolo and ray47

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I used to love baseball and American football. But, when I was 15, our football team snuck out of the city in the middle of the night in a moving van.

These days, teams moving to and fro is common place, but, back then, it was heresy. Especially the way it was done. I was pissed. I am pissed. The whole city was/is pissed. For decades.

To this day, we do not say the C-word. When Indianapolis visits, they are referred to as "the professional ball team from Indianapolis".

Soon thereafter, I joined the army. Right out of basic training, I spent my 18th birthday, also Superbowl Sunday, in a flooding and freezing foxhole in the swamps of Georgia. At that point, I gave up my interest on professional sports.

I then learned that darts was my game. Sharp objects being thrown while drinking.. What could go wrong?!?

1595997991457.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
When Indianapolis visits, they are referred to as "the professional ball team from Indianapolis".

You're going to have to come up with something else, because I believe that name's been taken now by the team from the District of Criminals D.C.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I used to love baseball and American football. But, when I was 15, our football team snuck out of the city in the middle of the night in a moving van.
I know, I was there. I was a Baltimore City Police Officer and was assigned as security during the move. That night is still like a dagger in my heart. I don't even follow NFL football, but for other reasons that I won't get into.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
hawky, if I had not grown up 2.5 miles from Fenway Park in Boston and had Red Sox running through my veins I would say fuck you Mike Trout and your 400 plus million and fuck everyone making over 200 million. Ticket prices are insane, Bring a family with 4 kids and it will cost you 300 plus for decent seats, parking and drinks and food, fuck those greedy cocksuckers.

Don’t beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel!

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
81 posts, and not one mention of Starcat? I'm not about to read through all of this, but I've always wondered why it's more manly or macho to watch guys in plastic suit bump around on a field... when there is women's beach volleyball. I've never been able to set through any sportball game, but I can watch beach volleyball till my eyes drop out.
There’s a ball in that picture? I never realized there was a ball involved with Women’s beach volleyball.
View attachment 37648
View attachment 37649

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I grew up an Atlanta Braves fan because of TBS. Games were always accessible. Too bad they only won one World Series in the 90’s. With pitchers like they had, should have won a few more.

I work for an NBA team so I am partial to professional basketball. I enjoy watching the Hurricanes play hockey, bunch of jerks. MLB is still my favorite. Baseball allows me to tune in and tune out as I please because of the pace of play. And listening to baseball on the radio is even more nostalgic for me. There’s just something about hearing the announcer call the game of baseball.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I do this, especially if I've got a bet on or England are playing (soccer).
If England are playing and you don't yell out at least once "the referee's a wanker!" then it's considered poor form?.
I don’t bet the games but I still yell at the TV when the Vikings or F1 is on. I can’t believe how many F1 fans we have here. I think I’ve only met two other guys who watched and they were pipe club guys from 20 some years ago. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up in a neighborhood with an especially good layout for Kick the Can. We'd get every kid from age six to about fifteen in a square mile area, and whoever was "it" had a terrible time gathering them all in. It was a pretty good game since "capturing" people was on the honor system. I guess everyone saw, if there was no capturing, there was no game. Also, they probably wanted to come lounge around on the garbage cans rather than crawl through the neighbors' landscaping. I guess it was more of a game than a sport, but it was competitive.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I've watched most sports here and there, but combat sports are the only thing that stuck with me.

I love them all, jiu jitsu, muai Thai, mma, kickboxing, boxing, wrestling, sambo. I think the technique is absolutely beautiful.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I don’t bet the games but I still yell at the TV when the Vikings or F1 is on. I can’t believe how many F1 fans we have here. I think I’ve only met two other guys who watched and they were pipe club guys from 20 some years ago. ?

From what I can tell F1 isn't anywhere near as big in the US as it is in Europe and Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.