A Shot in the Dark, ID'ing a Pipe My Grandfather Had...?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I began collecting pipes as a kid (really!) because of my grandfather's pipe smoking and his small collection. He mostly smoked Sir Walter Raleigh and something called Sugar Barrel (anyone know what the latter was?) in corncobs, but he had a Turkish meerschaum, a few briars, a decorative clay pipe... I still have his wooden pipe rack.

He had a briar oom paul. He had smoked it, but no longer did. When I was about eight, I "turned it into a meerschaum" by painting it white. I have no idea what happened to it, but I always look at oom pauls, hoping to find one that strikes me as similar enough, and I haven't found one yet. I suppose, more than anything, I'm just telling a bit of my pipe collecting past, but part of me hopes this vague description will spark something and someone will have an example of a similar pipe.

The bowl was tapered slightly, narrower at the top, and had the tiniest bit of curve or bulge. I've seen many oom pau;s where the connection between bowl and shank was almost flat on the bottom, and this one was slightly curved; it didn't look squared, but neither was it fully rounded like a full 180-degree curve. The shank was slightly canted away, not vertical, and I think it was either straight or had only a teensy taper. It had a very narrow, say 2mm, silver-colored ferrule, not a band but a spacer, and a saddle-type vulcanite stem. The briar was rusticated, and the carved pocks were maybe a mm wide and 3 or 4 mm tall. Looking very close it was dark brown stained, but that was only visible on the smooth patch on one side of the shank, which I think only said "imported briar." The rest of the pipe looked black.

Does this terribly vague description sound like a pipe anyone has seen? I'm sure it, like the rest, was bought in whatever shop sold pipes in the small Texas town where he lived; my mother or my aunt likely bought it for him as a gift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ofafeather

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Memory is a fickle thing. What you are describing may not be like the pipe at all. Do you have many pictures of your grandfather? It may be a good idea to pour over them and see if you can find anything showing the pipe or part of it. A photo would greatly aid in your search.

Reactions: ofafeather

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I don't have any of him smoking a pipe. But I strongly feel like my memories of it are sharp. Talking about it brought back another memory: as a young kid, I felt the pipe had a sort of sinister vibe, and I remember taking it down off the rack in the bedroom once, handling it, then getting spooked, putting it back and leaving in a hurry! When my father & I would pick up my mother at the airport after one of her frequent business trips, I'd smell pipe smoke and, being interested in pipes, my father would jog with me and we'd try to spot the smoker. They always seemed to be men in suits, with bushy beards, and black oom-pauls were common; I think my grandfather's got that vibe from these experiences at the airport, in which I usually took the smoker's appearance (I don't know why so many were so similar) to mean they were some kind of spy on a mission.

...now if only I could walk through the airport, puffing my pipe, today...

Reactions: BROBS

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I suppose I should add that I don't expect someone to identify this exact pipe. I eventually hope to locate a pipe with enough of the characteristics-- basically: oom-paul, black and rusticated, slightly tapered bowl, shank angled black a bit, rounded transition at the bottom, vulcanite saddle stem. Every now and then I browse the 'Bay, and when I do run into a pipe with at least two of these, it never has more than two.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Was the shape more like a savinelli 614 or 620?

Lots of basket pipes say only “Imported Briar” on them. LHS made some pipes with a thin ferrule like that as well, that would have said imported briar on them. But many brands would have after WWII.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
The stem was less slanted than the 614, and the bowl was taller but had the same sort of curved taper. The transition around the bottom is curved about right. A 'proper' one for me would definitely not need the metal spacer. Of course, I won't look the part of those, ahem, spies without a bushy black beard, which I indeed lack-- I suppose I can't be a spy. The suit and attache case, I have covered!

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Or was the rustication like the below:

s-l1600.jpg

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Snagstangl, most similar to that first flat-bottomed pipe, but much more evenly-distributed. If you look at the profile of that bowl, you can see a scalloped appearance; his looked smooth on the edge. He probably got it in the 1960s or 1970s, and as said, it would've been a very small town shop. I don't know if the town had a tobbaconist, and my mother doesn't recall, so it may have come from a drugstore.

For me, a regular rustication would satisfy, but I'd want it to be really even, rather than a pattern per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.