PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oscarsson123

Lurker
Aug 19, 2016
Hello
I have tried pipes with filters, but I find the draw on them very poor. Makes me wonder how over 90% of German pipe smokers use filters. I am not critizing people who do use them. Just curious. Anyone here that could explaine why do you use 9mm filters? Dont you find the draw very tight?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I use filters in my cobs 99% of the time. Due to the fact that when smoking my cobs I'm usually doing yard work or some other hobby of mine and I tend to puff like a freight train because I'm not paying attention to my cadence. I find the filter helps soak up the extra moisture from smoking too fast and the drool from me continually clenching while my hands are occupied.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't use filters mostly, but it is good to read a thread where some do, and the reasons why. I smoke only a bowl or three a day, mostly as a relaxation, not while I am moving about. Most filter pipes don't even need an adaptor to smoke without the filter, although with some it keeps the draw from being too airy. In general, the fewer accessories to the pipe the better, but I keep filters in case I want them to tame a strong blend, or if I am smoking more than usual, like at a pipe show, shop, or club, none of which I do much. Filters can also be a way to take the measure of a very strong blend. My main issue with filters is that new pipe smokers should all have access to an impartial white sheet giving the basics on filters, enumerating the major kinds, and explaining their use and non-use, so that people don't buy pipes with or without filters they do not want. It is annoying that people have to go through a process learning about them. All that should be in one place easily accessible to all newbies. Pipe smoking shouldn't be more of a guessing game than it needs to. End of sermon.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don't use filters, and so avoid pipes that do, because the draw on them tends to rely on there being a filter present. For example, the MM Country Gentleman is a cob that takes a filter. If I smoke a Country Gentleman without a filter, I find the draw way too "loose". It comes down to preference I guess. You find the draw a little tight with a filter, but that's the draw I like _without_ a filter.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have to disagree. It's true of the balsa "filters" which don't filter, but reduce the volume, and absorb a bit of moisture.

Vauen pipe filters do some filtering. They are not just for beginners by any stretch. (This from a guy who uses filters about 5% of the time or less.)

Upstate518

Lurker
Jul 25, 2020
This topic got me to sign up, hello all!

I like aromatics but suffer from tongue bite with almost every blend no matter my cadence or how much I dry the tobacco. Some years ago I bought a Vauen and tried the 9mm filter and while yes, it muted the flavor and tightened the draw, I could smoke any blend as fast or slow as I wanted without bite.

Since that first filtered pipe, I’ve only bought pipes that accept a 9mm filter. Not only do I prefer it, but it makes finding pipes you love that much harder (especially here in the US) which makes each addition more special (and keeps the wallet in check). My collection currently consists of multiple Vauen, Big Ben, Stanwell, Morgan Bones, and Rattrays.

If you’re an aromatic smoker with a sensitive tongue, I do recommend trying a filtered pipe.

Jun 9, 2018
England
This topic got me to sign up, hello all!

I like aromatics but suffer from tongue bite with almost every blend no matter my cadence or how much I dry the tobacco. Some years ago I bought a Vauen and tried the 9mm filter and while yes, it muted the flavor and tightened the draw, I could smoke any blend as fast or slow as I wanted without bite.

Since that first filtered pipe, I’ve only bought pipes that accept a 9mm filter. Not only do I prefer it, but it makes finding pipes you love that much harder (especially here in the US) which makes each addition more special (and keeps the wallet in check). My collection currently consists of multiple Vauen, Big Ben, Stanwell, Morgan Bones, and Rattrays.

If you’re an aromatic smoker with a sensitive tongue, I do recommend trying a filtered pipe.

Germany is the place for 9mm filter pipes. They love them over there and always have a large selection.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I do like filters but they seem wasteful and make me feel like I'm adding some big contraption to such a simple thing as a pipe. I have a couple boxes of the savinelli filters and I still can't seem to gather enough ambition to use them. Not to mention the fact that when I do use one, my immediate thought is 'well now I have one less filter'. But I'm an odd duck so...