PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Greetings, Pipeheads! puffy

I've been a cigar smoker for 15+ years (love most things Cuban and many things Dominican), but only recently got into pipe smoking this past May. I guess the lockdown got me devising new hobbies such as novel tobacco ingestion, career renovation and the purchasing of a house for my family in the country.

Other hobbies include agriculture/horticulture, reading & healthy living (to a degree - all things in moderation, including moderation!)

Anyway, I've been all over this site to learn pipe smoking from the ground up, so figured I'd might as well join. Looking forward to interacting with you and learning!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
BRO. I feel this more than anything anyone has said on the forum in years. I was born in Robertson County, and the changes that have taken place just since the 90s are staggering.
All you have to do is look at Austin to see what's coming/already here. Rather than gentrifying a portion of the city/county, they're gentrifying all of it - it'll be nothing but "young hip professionals" before long (with, of course, long-time residents being priced out of the market and having to move). The worst part is that once the transformation is complete, it's off to the next city & Nashville will be left as it stands, devoid of much of its original charm.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
All you have to do is look at Austin to see what's coming/already here. Rather than gentrifying a portion of the city/county, they're gentrifying all of it - it'll be nothing but "young hip professionals" before long (with, of course, long-time residents being priced out of the market and having to move). The worst part is that once the transformation is complete, it's off to the next city & Nashville will be left as it stands, devoid of much of its original charm.
I've thought about this subject at length as I have been an observer or "victim" depending on your perspective more than once. As a resident and/or speculator at different times, I have come to the conclusion that this (gentrication) is another form of evolution, specific to real estate. This is not a new phenomenon, this has been going on for a long time. Long before me or you. I lived in NYC for many years. It is almost unimaginable for me to say this but there are literally no longer any "bad" neighborhoods left in Manhattan. For those that are familiar; the Bowery aka "Skid Row", "Alphabet City", Harlem, Spanish Harlem, Times Square, etc. are all million dollar neighborhoods. The West (Greenwich) Village, long a bastion of the LGBT/bohemian crowd has been bought up by trendy designers like Jimmy Choo, Herme, and the like. This destroyed the flavor of the neighborhood. The elements that made it special, no longer exist. I would hardly call it a neighborhood any longer. I lived in a section of Queens, one stop from midtown Manhattan. At the turn of the century it was known as "Germantown". When I lived there it was a largely Southern European, predominantly Greek neighborhood. When I saw the Greeks beginning to move, I took it as my cue. I sold my 1200sf row house with no parking for a "fortune" ($260K, lol). 20 years later, my next door neighbor who stuck it out sold earlier this year for $1.75 million! Meanwhile I moved to a great neighborhood near the water on Long Island. I thought I would never move. It was great for 20 years until it was "discovered" by the stock broker crowd and lost its flavor for me. I moved again to my current location about 7 years ago. I love it here, but realize there really isn't any place you can really call a "forever home". You can complain about it, cry about it, stomp your feet, but the fact is real estate is a dynamic environment. It may become a hipster place now, but will eventually change again. Enjoy where you live. If you stop enjoying it, move. There is no longer "legacy" housing, passed down from generation to generation. Migration is the new normal. In the future, we may come to find that Covid may exacerbate this. I hope I am happy here until I pass. If not, I hope I am able to move. Life does not come with any guarantees, including your neighborhood remaining the same. Yes, sometimes it is a shame. Sometimes, it is for the better. Hopefully the end result will be you finding your new "favorite" place. The bottom line is the tide changes and no man can stop it. All we can do is try to make the best of where we are when we are there. I apologize for the length of this post.

Reactions: pantsBoots

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pantsBoots, we're a few miles from the often-flooding Crabtree Creek, but way up grade. They built a mall right on the creek bed and it floods the parking lot and the first floor of retail, but they just pump it out and go on. I would never get smug. We got hit by Hurricane Fran in '96 when it skimmed down the coast and made a left turn inland with little notice. Our city looked like it had been bombed. Later we got Floyd with lots of flooding out East and in river beds. It sounds like you will be on higher ground.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
pantsBoots, we're a few miles from the often-flooding Crabtree Creek, but way up grade. They built a mall right on the creek bed and it floods the parking lot and the first floor of retail, but they just pump it out and go on. I would never get smug. We got hit by Hurricane Fran in '96 when it skimmed down the coast and made a left turn inland with little notice. Our city looked like it had been bombed. Later we got Floyd with lots of flooding out East and in river beds. It sounds like you will be on higher ground.
After record-breaking flooding in 2010 (also the day we got married - ha!), we decided we would only live uphill from any natural waterways.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Greetings from Vaughan, ON and welcome to the forum!

I‘ve been to Nashville, TN once. Drove there all the way from Toronto, ON and back, for work, a few years ago. It was a fun road trip. I enjoyed the music bars in downtown after the conference. Good memories overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.