PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I have hearing from several other smokers that they pre-season new pipes with honey. My question is does it work or is it b-s? I think that it is hokum. Pick a side and discuss.

Oct 7, 2016
I have since the mid 90’s used a mixture of half honey, half water, a teaspoon each, heated over the stove to thin it out, on bowls of new pipes that aren’t factory coated. Just moisten the bowl by running my finger around it. Has worked out fine for me , my pipes smoke the way I want them to. Using nothing or something else might have worked out well, too.

Yet another forum hardy perennial. Where is @BROBS when we need him to keep things fresh? ?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
On a new uncoated bowl, I will just wet my finger, and run it around the bowl. Wait a few minutes load it up and smoke. Helps prevent charring. Not that briar chars so easily...

Different types of wood take cake differently.

My take is that putting honey in the bowl will make the bowl run a little bit hotter, as you’re burning sugars.

Have I done it? Yes. But I don’t really see much of an advantage to building cake this way as opposed to just following a regular break in procedure.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think it might also be done to tame down or mask the unpleasant flavour of bare wood being charred. Isn't that why Savinelli applies a flavouring of honey or licorice to their Miele and Liquirizia lines which are uncoated?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Rarely have I seen so much to do about so little. Why does anyone think the bowls need protecting? The pipes are carved out of briar for a reason. If you smoke so hot you burn a good briar bowl out, you deserve your fate. If there is a large pit hidden just under the surface, it needs to be revealed as early as possible so you can get a refund. If the bowl is sound and you don't smoke like you're trying to heat up a blast furnace, cake will form as a natural consequence. Unfortunately, you have to work to even slow it down.

Pipestud had an excellent post some time back about the practice of coating the bowl with honey, pointed out all that did was cause the sugars to burn resulting in some carbon. Just like the burnt tobacco does. His point was it is a waste of time. I fully concur. I think all the recommendations like honey coating, 1/3, 2/3 then full are for rank beginners who won't dry their tobacco enough to smoke a bowl to the bottom where you form some cake on the heel. Fill the bowl up with your tobacco of choice, dried as it should be, and smoke. The bowl will be fine and the cake will form as you smoke more. Don't over think it, KISS.