Ant Mystery; Any Entomologists In The House?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"FWIW, I’ve heard people swear by diatomaceous earth. Did not work for me."

Diatomaceous earth is pretty much the same as chalk. It's the decomposed and much compressed (over several millennia) collection of trillions of diatoms which themselves are stunningly beautiful minute organisms!

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's an ant poison - unfortunately cannot recall the name- that when used full strength is not optimum, as it kills the ants before they can make it back to the hill and share the goodness with their fellows. At lesser concentration, it goes much further in eradicating the problem.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
"FWIW, I’ve heard people swear by diatomaceous earth. Did not work for me."

Diatomaceous earth is pretty much the same as chalk. It's the decomposed and much compressed (over several millennia) collection of trillions of diatoms which themselves are stunningly beautiful minute organisms!

Regards,

Jay.?
Well, kind of. They both come from long-dead sea critters, but chalk is calcium carbonate, which is in mollusk shells and foraminifera tests. Diatomaceous earth is mostly silicates from diatoms. The internet lore is that the tiny sharp glassy silicate particles will get embedded in insects’ exoskeletons and kill them. Like I said, it seemed like hogwash to me, as the fire ants seemed unfazed by it.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Well, kind of. They both come from long-dead sea critters, but chalk is calcium carbonate, which is in mollusk shells and foraminifera tests. Diatomaceous earth is mostly silicates from diatoms. The internet lore is that the tiny sharp glassy silicate particles will get embedded in insects’ exoskeletons and kill them. Like I said, it seemed like hogwash to me, as the fire ants seemed unfazed by it.

It's asbestosis for ants.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I have had carpenter ants. They're pretty common, actually.

I had an exterminator come and he put out bait. He said the only way to fight them was to put out the bait and send the poison back to the nests. Good news is, they are fairly easy to control if you stay on top of things. I put out bait assiduously for a while, then they suddenly were nowhere to be found. I've had them come back a little and taken care of things again.

They are apparent the spring if they have a new nest somewhere.

The Terro ant bait is most common, and works well. However, it is very easy to make your own. Look up the recipe online, but I think it's a couple tablespoons of borax, a cup of sugar, a half cup water, and cook down to a thin syrup. Borax is the active ingredient in Terro.

If I see ants, I make up a batch, put it out in little trays all over and then go out looking for anthills.Cracks in a blacktop driveway are common spots. Making your own, you can just pour the little concoction right into the anthill.

Die queen!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Old school...

FrankAromaticBalloonfish-small.gif

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Briarbuck, I once did that with some vine weevils taking over my young strawberry plants in the greenhouse. I nearly burned the whole lot down as I had inadvertently caught some uber dry compost.

Just happened to be passing by an hour later only to find a whole load of compost smouldering away ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.