PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Today when digital access is discussed, people usually rattle off the tablet, the phone, the TV as potential devices. They might mention the desk top, but they don't. Being a desk top devotee (and I will admit, a hopeless digital Typhoid Mary and master of ineptitude) I assert that having the digital world parked in one place, accessible but not omnipresent, shunning all of the possible apps -- Facebook, Instagram, Texting, Twitter, ad infinitum -- is a way to keep the corrupting addictive malevolence at arms length. It's likely I will cave, as necessity demands, as I did recently with my wife's smart phone, waiting for a call to pick her up after a medical appointment. I also had my geezer flip phone, but never mind. The antiquarian desk top has its advantages. I don't sit in public staring at my lit phone with my mouth open, for example, and that's a good thing. My phone does not play the theme from "The Godfather" in church.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never owned one myself and it took service getting discontinued to my flip phone to force me into getting a smart phone. Just really never had much interest in electronics. No laptop or tablet either.

Reactions: radrick96

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Those of us working with graphics consider "old-fashioned" desktops to be a necessity. We use state-of-the-art controllers and 30+ inch monitors. Nothing "old-fashioned" about my gear. I never use little screen stuff for anything other than phone calls and texting. I used to check some sports scores before I found out life without "broadcast" sports is nice, very nice. Seriously, thank you Coronovirus! And, I have a 12 inch iPad which I use as a portfolio when traveling.

I do have a small, digital, communications device, implanted, which I carry everywhere. It communicates with a firm in New England and is able to defibrillate when required.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Growing up poor I’ve never had electronics. My sister had a cell phone for safety reasons, but I never got one between her always needing to replace it and me never deserving one cuz of SkoolI still play the old Steve McQueen, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood movies on dvd over and over again haha I got an iphone when I was 18 and moved out. I have a GoPro camera, laptop, and the phone and barely use them.
The people I want to have contact with all know where I live and can stop by anytime haha

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Digital will not go away. But I think the "fun" and "romance" is under severe reconsideration. I remember when there was this dominant fantasy about how it was all about freedom and creativity. Now that aspects of digital are tracking us and subverting our thinking, I think people have become justly suspicious and cynical and are evading the recreational aspects, abandoning Facebook, Twitter, etc. I certainly use a few modes of digital tech, but have never found the tech side fun or entertaining. I had an especially bad intro to the whole regime, an effective aversion therapy.

Reactions: radrick96 and BROBS
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I do not have a personal phone. I carry a work phone inside the factory, as well as a computer in my office. at home i have a house phone and a old tablet that does what i need but thats just to come on here and listen to music. My wife is very into computers and has a smart phone.

Reactions: radrick96 and BROBS

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
I work in IT consulting and have multiple laptops from clients, a company issued one and a personal one.

With that said, I try and disconnect as much as possible and avoid traditional social media. I like forums like this one where I can talk with people about a shared interest.

Reactions: Casual
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I work in IT consulting and have multiple laptops from clients, a company issued one and a personal one.

With that said, I try and disconnect as much as possible and avoid traditional social media. I like forums like this one where I can talk with people about a shared interest.
This is my only form of "social media" I dont do facebook or twitter or anything else

Reactions: jhe033

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Same here
Social media has become a toxic black hole of suck. It used to suck, but now it’s in a whole new realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.