PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
What do I need to include to have a complete piping experience?
I’ve smoked briar, olive wood, morta, meerschaum, and cobs

should it be mandatory to include a clay?
and certain mainstays? Like I’ve smoked many English and Italian brands for instance, but never a Dr Graybow

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, here is one must-do: Buy and smoke an unfinished pipe until it is fully finished through smoking alone. There are a number of pipes sold as unfinished, but I would especially recommend the smooth ones for the full observable effect. The unfinished rusticated pipes already have the textured finish. The smooth pipes first darken in an undistinguished way and don't look especially good. Then they begin to darken a little more and take on a somewhat attractive matte finish not unlike pipes finished as matte. Eventually some begin to shine with a walnut (or other hue) aura that is deep and rich and quite even throughout the briar. Hand oil may have something to do with it, but it is too uniform on the shank and other less-handled parts to be the main influence. It is magic -- or magic seeming, if the magic idea is too annoying. I have a forty year old Savinelli pipe that started out unfinished that now looks more finished than some of my smooth pipes that came fully finished. You cannot miss this experience. Savinelli makes good unfinished pipes, and right now PC has Stanwells in smooth unfinished form. I'm sure there are other brands. Don't miss this in your pipe smoking life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
One pipe, one tobacco, a lighter, a tamper of some sort, and a means to clean your pipes. Looks like you're already there. I can find no measurable difference between smoking characteristics of a well drilled pipe regardless of the material in which it's made.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least play around with lighting a pipe with matches outdoors in a breeze or wind. Granted, this is not an optimal pipe smoking experience, but it introduces all kinds of sense about terrain and weather. Use berms, trees, rises, ravines, and buildings as wind blocks; use a deep bowl to give the ember shelter; cup the match in hand and strike over the bowl; come up with your own maneuvers and be creative. Some sailors are good at this since on the water, you can't escape the weather. Some campers too.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Okay, here is one must-do: Buy and smoke an unfinished pipe until it is fully finished through smoking alone. There are a number of pipes sold as unfinished, but I would especially recommend the smooth ones for the full observable effect. The unfinished rusticated pipes already have the textured finish. The smooth pipes first darken in an undistinguished way and don't look especially good. Then they begin to darken a little more and take on a somewhat attractive matte finish not unlike pipes finished as matte. Eventually some begin to shine with a walnut (or other hue) aura that is deep and rich and quite even throughout the briar. Hand oil may have something to do with it, but it is too uniform on the shank and other less-handled parts to be the main influence. It is magic -- or magic seeming, if the magic idea is too annoying. I have a forty year old Savinelli pipe that started out unfinished that now looks more finished than some of my smooth pipes that came fully finished. You cannot miss this experience. Savinelli makes good unfinished pipes, and right now PC has Stanwells in smooth unfinished form. I'm sure there are other brands. Don't miss this in your pipe smoking life.
I have a Canadian on my bench I was thinking I would leave unfinished. Think I should skip waxing it?

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
Clay pipes are a great way to connect with history. They are great smokers and can really unlock the subtle tastes in some blends. Yes can incinerate your mouth or hand. Hold them by the stem and slow down. Smoking clays really helped me nail down my cadence early on and that greatly enhanced my overall pipe experience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didi' deserves credit on this score for his one Dr. Grabow for one year, a marathon. I don't recommend this for most pipe smokers, but didi has distinguished himself, and Dr. Grabow as well.

I do recommend at least one Old Dominion corn cob, reed stem pipe, for the historical experience of smoking a cob like our granddaddies did. Actually, my dad had one or two reed stem pipes over his long smoking career. I had two, but still have one miniature as a take-along. The other one went to the troops in Afghanistan with some briars.

Granger. Everyone should sample Granger at some point. You don't have to like it, just smoke a bowl. You may.

Last edited:

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have an Old Dominion, so I checked that box, I like them!
Do you think this was natural? This is 2017 vs 2020
the light is different but you can tell it's coloring
View attachment 36413
View attachment 36414
Looks like maybe a light stain. It’s one of my favorite things to watch a pipe darken. I bought I light finish Tinsky as my “wedding pipe” in 2000. Aging beautifully. I have a great Sav Mediteranena with a light finish. Sadly, they used some putty that wasn’t visible when I bought it new and it came out as the rest of the pipe darkened. It really ruined the esthetics of the pipe but is a great smoker. I hate fills and these are more like slabs.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Clay pipes are a great way to connect with history. They are great smokers and can really unlock the subtle tastes in some blends. Yes can incinerate your mouth or hand. Hold them by the stem and slow down. Smoking clays really helped me nail down my cadence early on and that greatly enhanced my overall pipe experience.
Yes smoking a clay pipe is a great way to connect with history!
I must admit to puffing mine too hard; thanks Condorlover1 for pointing this out!
I've also incinerated my hand & mouth by smoking the clay pipes too hot and this has taught me to slow it down, especially as the tobacco burns hotter in a clay pipe.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
T
I’ve smoked briar, olive wood, morta, meerschaum, and cobs

should it be mandatory to include a clay?
and certain mainstays? Like I’ve smoked many English and Italian brands for instance, but never a Dr Graybow
Try a Grabow. I have one cost me 8 bucks, used. Its like my best smoker. Just as good as my Pete, and more versatile.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a range of pipes from Yello-Bole to Ser Jacopo and Ferndown, though mostly low/mid range, but I like my Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog a lot, well balanced and shaped, and with an acrylic stem, not too heavy, and durable. I'm always happy to pack that baby.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Must do for the top experiences in piping? Smoke on a mountain top. At the ocean, on shore and in a boat. While fishing in a lake, and a stream. In hot dry weather and cold damp weather. With a beautiful woman by your side while walking. Also in bed, in the tub and Jacuzzi.

There are more top pipe smoking experiences that have little to do with the pipe nor the tobacco.

Enjoy!