PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The Dunhill mystique is an abomination relentlessly insisting itself that, to me, absolutely does not truthfully promote the qualities that these pipes have. The pipe in question would be such as bought by some rich guy cruising on his 75 ft. yacht, planning to trade up to a 125 ft.

However, it its not uncommon for pipe potentates to say that pre-1950 Dunhills have magic. I had a Dunhill patent that did not. In fact, smoking over100 pipes of many different brands, ranging in price from $50-$400, I never found magic. I did have pipes that I loved more and some I loved the most, but that love was based on shape, finish, stem comfort and
clenchability.

It was never about some supposed magic; thus when I see pipes brandished as above, I get more than little irritated.

Last edited by a moderator:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The seller saw they are Dunhills, so they all must be collectible, elite, and super rare. yup. limited to the number they could make and sell. Like Limited edition Slurpee cups. Just 12000000 distributed nation wide.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Such optimism about Dunhills seems to be contagious these days (though perhaps this is an unfortunate choice of words).

There's this perfectly nice group 2 Root Briar "reduced to sell" described as "grandfather's. . . pride and joy" at $1850 (with its box and some papers and free shipping)--shown with some photos far too blurry to read its nomenclatureGF33.jpg

1932 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR Beautiful,barely smoked,one owner.Pat No. 358812 RARE_ | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-DUNHILL-ROOT-BRIAR-Beautiful-barely-smoked-one-owner-Pat-No-358812-RARE/202948184509?hash=item2f40a789bd:g:pAYAAOSwb5lefk9o

And then a genuinely handsome cased pair of 1939 billiards--bruyere and shell--that might actually be "unsmoked" and certainly worth good money--but $7500? Really? Cased pair.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.