PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Different people have different styles. Some people cuss and spit at each other for sixty years, and when one of them passes on, the other is despondent. Know thyself, and know thy spouse, to know how things are going. Some couples think there's is problem if their mate hasn't hasn't flung the "f" word at them yet this morning. Every shouting match isn't the last straw, or even hostile in the context of some couples.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Kinda rude, unless that is y'alls schtick. Mutual respect is the way to go, don't be a tyrant, don't put up with a harridan. I smoked in my house before I met my wife and while we were first married. I didn't stop and she didn't say anything. Last year my daughter came along and, coincidentally, the last days of smoking inside did too, still without my wife issuing any edicts.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Different people have different styles. Some people cuss and spit at each other for sixty years, and when one of them passes on, the other is despondent. Know thyself, and know thy spouse, to know how things are going. Some couples think there's is problem if their mate hasn't hasn't flung the "f" word at them yet this morning. Every shouting match isn't the last straw, or even hostile in the context of some couples.
Sounds a bit like Stockholm Syndrome.

• Haha
Reactions: lochinvar

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
MSO beat me to it. Different strokes for different folks, where relationships are concerned. After 22 years in the military, swearing seldom bothers me unless it is directly applied to my character. Talking about F'ing windows or F'ing reading wouldn't bother me in the least, espectially if this was my umpteenth time not living up to my end of a marital bargain. Luckily, my wife joins me on the covered porch to sniff the room notes of my tobacco (unless it is a balkan or lat heavy blend).

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like your wife might be related to my wife! I mean, she's not abusive or anything, and we've long since stopped actually using that language directly towards each other, but that would be her exact response. I can't really blame her for the f-bombs. Her (New England 100 percent Italian) mother swears more than anyone I know.

My wife is also sensitive to the smell. She can't smell when milk has gone bad, or a lot of other things, but man can she smell tobacco on me from a mile away. She just says "You smell", and wrinkles her nose. My reply is always "Thank you!". Sarcasm has worked well for us for 12 years so far, so I don't see any reason to change. :LOL:

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I smoke in the same room as my wife. She is a cigarette smoker and i used to be. She does not like PA but everything else is ok. She loves Sutliff Vanilla Custard. I cant imagine being forced out of my house to smoke but I can also understand if you choose to. My wife and I are very old fashioned and dont get out much and enjoy being in the same room

Reactions: Pipelady20

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Don't know your situation, but that'd be extremely unreasonably intense in my house, and suggest an underlying problem I should investigate.
Then again I know some people who can go from normal to screaming like the're a murder going on to being normal again in an instant. Definitely not my idea of normal, but for some people it is.

Reactions: Pipelady20

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Want to piss her off even more? Calmly with a straight face ask her to put up nicer looking signs...maybe laminated and some color.

I think the original post was meant to be funny and not to be taken to serious. The OP is a 5 year member on the forum, so it's not like he's a newbie. This may be a problem every summer.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Words of wisdom!

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Awww. We just call that *oral* sex when we use the f bomb around here.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Guys, guys, guys, this was meant as an ANECDOTAL thread only, not to be misconstrued as marital issues and or problems nor a reflection on my wife's character. She very, very, rarely uses the F bomb and it is usually in jest, as it was this time. No shouting match, no anger or animosity.
We have been very happily married for 48 years.
We're both looking forward to the next 48.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Guys, guys, guys, this was meant as an ANECDOTAL thread only, not to be misconstrued as marital issues and or problems nor a reflection on my wife's character. She very, very, rarely uses the F bomb and it is usually in jest, as it was this time. No shouting match, no anger or animosity.
We have been very happily married for 48 years.
We're both looking forward to the next 48.

Congratulations, on such a partnership. Thats a beautiful thing.

• Love
Reactions: ofafeather