PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
After eschewing aromatics, I recently tried a couple that I like - John Marr, and Bagpiper. They're pretty subtle, and don't hit me over the head with an intensely fragrant room note. There's just enough of the promised topping to know it's there.

Could anyone recommend their favorite "low-key" aromatics?

Reactions: kg.legat0

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Aromatic English 504c
Sam's Flake
Edward G Robinson's
Bengal Slices
Bob's Chocolate Flake

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
For what you might call "low key", or as mso put it, tobacco forward I like:

Rattray's Exotic Passion
GH&C Bob's Chocolate Flake
GH&C Cherry Cream Flake

My other favorite aromatics are:

GH&C American Delight
Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

The Exotic Passion is almost in the middle of tobacco forward and flavor forward IMO and it does a great job of bridging the gap. The best I can put it is: tobacco forward on the regular puff but flavor forward on the retrohale. (You do not have to be skilled in any way in regards to retrohale to get the flavor. In fact, I'm absolutely horrible at it but I still get a ton of flavor when I try it.)

Outside of those you can try something with rum such as Salty Dogs or Stuliff Spiced Rum. These aren't aromatics, which is an ill-defined term anyway, but the rum influence is noticeable.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I personally like Peterson University Flake, Perfect Plug, Royal Yacht. Also Erinmore Flake. They are all on the fruity side but the flavoring quickly gives way to tobacco forward goodness. MacBaren Nancy Flake and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky have Danish style elements but the tobacco flavor is great. I find both of them a bit bitey for me but enjoy the flavor.

Reactions: Corto Waltese

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I personally like Peterson University Flake, Perfect Plug, Royal Yacht. Also Erinmore Flake. They are all on the fruity side but the flavoring quickly gives way to tobacco forward goodness. MacBaren Nancy Flake and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky have Danish style elements but the tobacco flavor is great. I find both of them a bit bitey for me but enjoy the flavor.
Ok, I doubt MacBaren makes a “Nancy” Flake. That should have been Navy. Sorry!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I saw @mso489 recommend the Planta MMXII Ripe Marula Fruit before and bought a few ounces. It is quite nice. Apparently marula tastes like guava, because that’s what the topping reminds me of. Mixture 79 is a Burley-forward aromatic, but the topping is kind of polarizing. I enjoy it, but I know many don’t. Erinmore Flake is a great blend. I wouldn’t quite call it an aromatic, personally, but that may be just what you’re looking for. Edward G. Robinson’s is quite good. It has a subtle topping that reminds me of mulled red wine.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dan's Devil's Holiday is my favorite.
I also like Tinderbox's Wafflehouse (Moreso when they could get McClellands VBC to blend, but they have dialed in a good replacement now so it is good again)

Low key I like Stokkebye's Nougat and Optimum, H&H Classic Burley Cake and Vermont Meat Candy, and MacBaren Highland (when it can be found).

Reactions: Corto Waltese
Status
Not open for further replies.