PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Greetings everyone,
It's been a while since I've logged on back here as I took a break from pipe-smoking.

Recently I placed an order on smokingpipes.com for some tobacco, and the order seems to have got lost during shipping.
It claims that it was delivered at my address but it has not, when I wrote to smokingpipes support concerning this they simply claimed that the order is not their responsibility once they ship it.

When I asked for proof of delivery they simply sent me order details, and claimed that they kind of parcel they sent does not require any sort of signature from the receiving party.
So at the moment my parcel seems to be in the hands of an unknown person at an unknown address.
Any further inquiries were brushed off with a significant indifference towards my issue.

Is this something new that's been going on? I remember smokingpipes for being one the better retailers yet I have not been disregarded like this, even by less-reputed stores.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Hmm they lost mine recently and I contacted them. They said they would contact my local post office and to give them 2 weeks for a reply. I emailed them a copy of the confirmation. I order from them regularly so I don't know if this bears any weight on how they handle it, which IMO shouldn't. I should find out this week what they will do.

See if you can push back and ask them to check with your post office.

Edit: for clarification

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Greetings everyone,
It's been a while since I've logged on back here as I took a break from pipe-smoking.

Recently I placed an order on smokingpipes.com for some tobacco, and the order seems to have got lost during shipping.
It claims that it was delivered at my address but it has not, when I wrote to smokingpipes support concerning this they simply claimed that the order is not their responsibility once they ship it.

When I asked for proof of delivery they simply sent me order details, and claimed that they kind of parcel they sent does not require any sort of signature from the receiving party.
So at the moment my parcel seems to be in the hands of an unknown person at an unknown address.
Any further inquiries were brushed off with a significant indifference towards my issue.

Is this something new that's been going on? I remember smokingpipes for being one the better retailers yet I have not been disregarded like this, even by less-reputed stores.

That’s unfortunate. I haven’t had any delivery issues, luckily. My guess is the best option is to file a grievance with your credit card company. Most have some form of consumer protection. It’s a tough place for any retailer to be in but you would hope to at least have a sympathetic response. Hopefully that can be addressed, if it hasn’t already been.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Hmm they lost mine recently and I contacted them. They said they would contact my local post office and to give them 2 weeks for a reply. I emailed them a copy of the confirmation. I order from them regularly so I don't know if this bears any weight on how they handle it, which IMO shouldn't. I should find out this week what they will do.

See if you can push back and ask them to check with your post office.

Edit: for clarification
I did ask them a couple times to contact my post office but was told to do so myself,
In my mind I always believed that a parcel is a responsibility of the retailer until it is delivered to me.

That’s unfortunate. I haven’t had any delivery issues, luckily. My guess is the best option is to file a grievance with your credit card company. Most have some form of consumer protection. It’s a tough place for any retailer to be in but you would hope to at least have a sympathetic response. Hopefully that can be addressed, if it hasn’t already been.
That will probably be the last measure I'll take, since such an action would most likely terminate any further interactions Smokingpipes and I would have, and I quite liked being their customer.

Reactions: ofafeather

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Greetings everyone,

What does it it say on the post office website when you track it?

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
What does it it say on the post office website when you track it?
That it was delivered to an individual(unspecified) at the zip code I specified but with no mention of an actual address(which could be many among others at the same zipcode).

• Wow

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
That it was delivered to an individual(unspecified) at the zip code I specified but with no mention of an actual address(which could be many among others at the same zipcode).
That’s sucks. Sorry that happened. It’s such a pain. I guess contacting the PO is a good place to start. Not always easy though. Are there a lot of POs in your zip? I would also contact your cc company to find out of you have any options. At least you’ll know where you stand.

Reactions: anotherbob

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Well, you and I are diligent about getting mail that's delivered to us by mistake to the proper person, one way or another.

Other folks are not always that considerate. Everything is someone else's problem these days.

But, perhaps, your neighbor will get off their lazy ass and see that the package gets to you at some point. Stay tuned.....

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
That’s sucks. Sorry that happened. It’s such a pain. I guess contacting the PO is a good place to start. Not always easy though. Are there a lot of POs in your zip? I would also contact your cc company to find out of you have any options. At least you’ll know where you stand.
There is a large number of post offices and calling them on landline from my current location would cost me more than the order itself. The Forwarding company claimed that no parcel was delivered to them, and demand a proof of delivery, they've shipped 200 parcels for me alone are known for being very consistent and trustworthy. I filed a lost parcel claim at usps, seems to be the only option as every other involved party seems to be putting pointing fingers at someone else.

• Sad
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
That’s a hard place for the retailer to be in. I would be miffed if my package came up missing, but it really isn’t the retailer’s fault unless they screwed up the address somehow, which I don’t see happening since I’m sure the shipping details are automatically parsed from the info you put in the order. Contact the carrier (good luck) and see what they say. It sucks though. Sorry to hear about it. I sincerely hope you get it resolved. ?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
This has nothing to do with smoking pipes, they do not deliver your parcel. The responsibility is solely on the freight carrier. Open a claim with ups or whoever it is.
While it may not be their fault or de facto responsibility, it is nice to feel like they are in your camp. Also, the shipper is the only one that can file insurance claims and they will usually have more leverage since they are providing the business to the shipping company. As the shipper they also usually have better access to information. For instance, if a parcel is damaged, the sender has to filter the claim, not the consumer.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
While it may not be their fault or de facto responsibility, it is nice to feel like they are in your camp. Also, the shipper is the only one that can file insurance claims and they will usually have more leverage since they are providing the business to the shipping company. As the shipper they also usually have better access to information. For instance, if a parcel is damaged, the sender has to filter the claim, not the consumer.
Yes, it's also my understanding that the usps prefers the shipper to file a claim.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't have anything mailed to me that isn't a "sign for" after too many packages going missing and having to be tracked down. My mail carrier was an airhead who would deliver packages "wherever". I found myself dropping off misdelivered packages to their proper locations, anywhere from a few doors down to a few blocks away.
I did file a complaint with the USPS, which, to my surprise, actually contacted me about the problem, and, bigger surprise, actually did something about it. Airhead disappeared, never to return.
Since making everything "sign for" no packages have gone walkabout. I may occasionally have to drive to the post office to pick up a package that was delivered while I was out, but that's a small irritation compared with what I went through before.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the up-side, SP recently made good on a discount that had been posted on the wrong product, which I thought was most generous of them. Tracking says they recently received a package of pipes sent for appraisal for store credit, so I hope that will go on through. The postal service is struggling, and perhaps SP has short staff since South Carolina is among the Southern states having public health issues.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
On the up-side, SP recently made good on a discount that had been posted on the wrong product, which I thought was most generous of them. Tracking says they recently received a package of pipes sent for appraisal for store credit, so I hope that will go on through. The postal service is struggling, and perhaps SP has short staff since South Carolina is among the Southern states having public health issues.
In general I believe SP is all in, positive and forward thinking as a business. They have always been great to deal with and seem very customer oriented.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
The Forwarding company claimed that no parcel was delivered to them, and demand a proof of delivery.

If that "Forwarding company" is the same I'm thinking about, that's located in industrial area - I don't think SPC can do much in this situation, unless that package was insured. Perhaps it's time for you to be more involved in the shipping process.

Status
Not open for further replies.