PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I absolutely hate breaking in a new pipe!

I got a brand new Nerup last month but it is taking me forever to get it into a smokable condition.

I typically smoke in the evenings after work so when I do I want a experience that is good. I don't want to have a mediocre or blah smoke.

I'm about 10 bowls into the new pipe. The flavor is improving oh, but it is not there yet.

First world problems...?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I absolutely hate breaking in a new pipe!

I got a brand new Nerup last month but it is taking me forever to get it into a smokable condition.

I typically smoke in the evenings after work so when I do I want a experience that is good. I don't want to have a mediocre or blah smoke.

I'm about 10 bowls into the new pipe. The flavor is improving oh, but it is not there yet.

First world problems...?
Smoked only ten times in a month?

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
It might be the pipes or Blends that you smoke.

The same blend tastes radically different to me in my new pipes versus old ones that have been broken in.

YMMV
I got two Nording pipes for fathers day and just loaded them full and let them smoke i do tend to smoke slower at first but i cant understand the 1/4 bowl, 1/2 bowl, full bowl. I also smoke mostly OTC brands. Carter Hall and Granger and PA. I have on one pipe dedicated to english and oriental blends. There are a lot of rules with pipe smoking I dont follow I dont rest my pipes if I want a second bowl in a briar I wipe it out load it up and go again. But to be fair I smoke 8 to 10 bowls from about 2pm til 10pm

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some problems with a new, or new-to-you pipe, might be getting used to it or finding out it just isn't your kind of pipe -- like a too restrictive draw, or even too airy an airway, or an uncomfortable stem. Part of breaking in a pipe is learning to smoke it -- its balance, its weight, its shape chamber. But mostly people think about the status of the chamber, the carbon layer, taste, and size and shape of ember that affects the flavor. I'm one of those who usually goes right at it with a new pipe. I don't find it a long laborious task. I'd say one out of five pipes actually requires twenty or more smokes to come into its own. Other pipes smoke fine from the outset but suddenly improve remarkably after a year or so. Who knows what that's about -- dryness of the briar, carbon layer, learning its characteristics. Mostly though, I find new pipes (and estates) just fine from the start.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And just so we can see the pipe of the discussion.......

img_20200506_003346-jpg.28893

Peder has certainly gone wild with the colors in the past few years.?

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I got two Nording pipes for fathers day and just loaded them full and let them smoke i do tend to smoke slower at first but i cant understand the 1/4 bowl, 1/2 bowl, full bowl. I also smoke mostly OTC brands. Carter Hall and Granger and PA. I have on one pipe dedicated to english and oriental blends. There are a lot of rules with pipe smoking I dont follow I dont rest my pipes if I want a second bowl in a briar I wipe it out load it up and go again. But to be fair I smoke 8 to 10 bowls from about 2pm til 10pm

I am breaking it in with Carter Hall and Storm Front. Those two Blends taste the most like normal and the new pipe.

Other blends that I normally smoke like Regents flake, Embarcadero, and Searsucker I think are pretty nuanced and subtle blends.

I don't get much out of those Blends in the new pipe.

Reactions: ofafeather
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I've had a couple of used pipes that I had to suffer through the first 20 smokes, that was probably due to oxidation. The only new ones I've had trouble with are the MM Hardwoods. The varnish is a stuggle to smoke through.. I'd damn near pay somebody to smoke the first 20 in those. It is worth it though, once that shit's all burned off they're my favorite pipes.