PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WacoOne

Lurker
Jul 7, 2020
Waco, TX
ericguel.com
Hi, all. My name is Eric Guel and I live in Waco, TX (Sic 'em, Bears!). I'm a full time editorial and commercial photographer. I'm 44 years old.

Back in college (circa 1995) my buddies and I thought it would be cool to buy some cigars and smoke them on a camping trip. We bought some cheap drug store stogies, and over the next several months became regular smokers. We eventually "graduated" to handmade cigars from humidors. A few months after that, I bought a pipe, because, why not?

I soon became more of a pipe smoker than a cigar smoker. I started out with Dr. Grabows and in about 1997 my then-girlfriend (who has been my wife for 22 years now) bought me a Savinelli second. It smoked beautifully compared to my cheap pipes and it quickly became my favorite pipe. I smoked it for 18 years or so.

Over the years I amassed a collection of relatively inexpensive pipes: Grabows, seconds, etc. While I never really had a totally legit pipe, I was an avid smoker for the most part (primarily aromatics, since my wife likes the smell so much she's cool with me smoking in the house).

About two weeks ago I bought a full blown Savinelli (pictured below), and, once again, I'm amazed at how well it smokes compared to its cheaper brethren. It cost about $100, which is way more than I had ever paid for a pipe before.

So here I am. Glad to be a part of this message board.

One question I have for you experts is does the quality of a smoking experience go up with an even more finely crafted (i.e. expensive) pipe?

Here's a photo I just took of myself, and one of the beautiful woman who bought me my first non-drug store pipe so many years ago.

Eric Guel
Waco, TX

eric_guel_pipe.jpg_E1A8563.jpeg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Hi, all. My name is Eric Guel and I live in Waco, TX (Sic 'em, Bears!). I'm a full time editorial and commercial photographer. I'm 44 years old.

Back in college (circa 1995) my buddies and I thought it would be cool to buy some cigars and smoke them on a camping trip. We bought some cheap drug store stogies, and over the next several months became regular smokers. We eventually "graduated" to handmade cigars from humidors. A few months after that, I bought a pipe, because, why not?

I soon became more of a pipe smoker than a cigar smoker. I started out with Dr. Grabows and in about 1997 my then-girlfriend (who has been my wife for 22 years now) bought me a Savinelli second. It smoked beautifully compared to my cheap pipes and it quickly became my favorite pipe. I smoked it for 18 years or so.

Over the years I amassed a collection of relatively inexpensive pipes: Grabows, seconds, etc. While I never really had a totally legit pipe, I was an avid smoker for the most part (primarily aromatics, since my wife likes the smell so much she's cool with me smoking in the house).

About two weeks ago I bought a full blown Savinelli (pictured below), and, once again, I'm amazed at how well it smokes compared to its cheaper brethren. It cost about $100, which is way more than I had ever paid for a pipe before.

So here I am. Glad to be a part of this message board.

One question I have for you experts is does the quality of a smoking experience go up with an even more finely crafted (i.e. expensive) pipe?

Here's a photo I just took of myself, and one of the beautiful woman who bought me my first non-drug store pipe so many years ago.

Eric Guel
Waco, TX

View attachment 35560View attachment 35561
Welcome to the forum and what a great way to kick the hornet's nest!

There are some people who insist that you have to spend a lot of money on a pipe. Then there are the majority of us who believe that you can get just as good smoke out of a Kaywoodie (especially some of the old ones) as you can on from a "high-end" artisan pipe. It just depends on the individual pipe. I had a 1976 Dunhill that I didn't like and I still have a 1950's Kaywoodie Stembiter that I smoke weekly.

And, there is nothing wrong with a good estate pipe. You can occasionally find a high quality pipe for real cheap that can be restored into great smoker. I've found Preben Holms, Ascorti's, a Castello and a Peterson or two - All for under $40. My first "expensive" Savinelli is a Giubileo d'Oro from the 1970s that I paid $3.00 for at a street fair.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

WacoOne

Lurker
Jul 7, 2020
Waco, TX
ericguel.com
Welcome to the forum and what a great way to kick the hornet's nest!

There are some people who insist that you have to spend a lot of money on a pipe. Then there are the majority of us who believe that you can get just as good smoke out of a Kaywoodie (especially some of the old ones) as you can on from a "high-end" artisan pipe. It just depends on the individual pipe. I had a 1976 Dunhill that I didn't like and I still have a 1950's Kaywoodie Stembiter that I smoke weekly.

And, there is nothing wrong with a good estate pipe. You can occasionally find a high quality pipe for real cheap that can be restored into great smoker. I've found Preben Holms, Ascorti's, a Castello and a Peterson or two - All for under $40. My first "expensive" Savinelli is a Giubileo d'Oro from the 1970s that I paid $3.00 for at a street fair.

Thanks, pappymac. Perhaps the lesson for me is never turn down the opportunity grab a pipe!

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Welcome from Arizona. I am more in the camp of a good tobacco will taste good in most decent pipes. In my opinion I don't believe that a good tobacco tastes better in a $1K Castello over a $100 Savinelli.

Reactions: JMcQ

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hi, Eric, glad to have you with us. Upstate SC here. What the guys have said is the truth. An expensive pipe won't necessarily smoke better than a cheaper one, although the bargain basement stuff is usually junk. Just about any decent pipe will smoke well if done right.

One particular bargain is Morgan's Bones pipes. They run around $45-60 & are excellent value. Most everybody who smokes them likes them. I have two & they're both excellent. Highly recommended if you want a quality smoke for not a lot of bucks.

You can spend a ton, or a more reasonable amount & get a good smoke or a bad one. It's all in the individual pipe. :)

Bill

Reactions: WacoOne

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Eric Guel
Waco, TX
answer is maybe. It seems to have more to do with with how you handle the pipe and how easy it is for you to use it. This includes all kinds of factors that no one can really pin down with much specificity. Including your outlook and attitude. And I've seemed to notice that less expensive pipes seem to have less quality control but have had plenty that smoke great and a few that smoke o.k...

WacoOne

Lurker
Jul 7, 2020
Waco, TX
ericguel.com
Hi, Eric, glad to have you with us. Upstate SC here. What the guys have said is the truth. An expensive pipe won't necessarily smoke better than a cheaper one, although the bargain basement stuff is usually junk. Just about any decent pipe will smoke well if done right.

One particular bargain is Morgan's Bones pipes. They run around $45-60 & are excellent value. Most everybody who smokes them likes them. I have two & they're both excellent. Highly recommended if you want a quality smoke for not a lot of bucks.

You can spend a ton, or a more reasonable amount & get a good smoke or a bad one. It's all in the individual pipe. :)

Bill

Bill, thank you! I'll check out Morgan's Bones for sure.

WacoOne

Lurker
Jul 7, 2020
Waco, TX
ericguel.com
answer is maybe. It seems to have more to do with with how you handle the pipe and how easy it is for you to use it. This includes all kinds of factors that no one can really pin down with much specificity. Including your outlook and attitude. And I've seemed to notice that less expensive pipes seem to have less quality control but have had plenty that smoke great and a few that smoke o.k...

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice, anotherbob!

Reactions: anotherbob

WacoOne

Lurker
Jul 7, 2020
Waco, TX
ericguel.com
Welcome from Arizona. I am more in the camp of a good tobacco will taste good in most decent pipes. In my opinion I don't believe that a good tobacco tastes better in a $1K Castello over a $100 Savinelli.

On that note, spartacus, any tobacco recommendations would be appreciated. I usually buy tobacco from pipesandcigars.com.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
On that note, spartacus, any tobacco recommendations would be appreciated. I usually buy tobacco from pipesandcigars.com.

Well... that all depends on what you enjoy or are you experimenting? I enjoy a lot of variety in my tobacco choices. In the hot summer months I tend to smoke only Va and VaPer's with the occasional aromatic. In the winter months I smoke mostly Latakia blends.

If there are 1K different blends you will get 1K different recommendations. It's what pipe guys have acquired a taste and a like for.

For Va and VaPer's you can try any of the Samuel Gawith FVF and Golden Glow, Peter Heinrich Curly Block, Wessex Gold Brick, Watch City Simply Red and Rouxgaroux, Capstan.

For Latakia blends you can look at Esoterica Pembroke and Penzance, Peterson Nightcap, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader.

Those are a few to get started with and see where your tastes go.

Not sure if these are available from Pipes and Cigars I personally don't use them. I know some guys on here do but I choose not to. The Watch City will come directly from Watch City.

Good Luck and welcome to the journey.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Welcome to the forum from Florida. You have a lot of years pipe smoking under your belt, I'm sure that you will give more than you think to this forum.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello from Austin.

You're likely to find that your Savinelli smokes as well as most any pipe you get. They make a great product.

I smoke mostly non-aromatics, but, if you're ordering from P&C, consider a few ounces of Russ Ouellette's Match Hickory. I've never had the original, but found the match very tasty.

Any Sillem's or Rattray's aromatics are usually of high quality, as well.

Welcome to the forum!

1594179867257.jpeg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eric, welcome to this great forum. Your 'origin story' is much like mine. Bought my first cigar at a convenience store in Montreal when I was 18. My girlfriend now wife bought me my first pipe.

Don't think I didn't notice that vinyl collection in the back. Do you collect?

46sie9.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Eric,

Welcome to the forum! I live in Robinson, just south of Waco and am president of the Central Texas Pipe Club. We met monthly at Poppa Rollo's for 11-years before the smoking laws caused us to change venues, and until the COVID-19 thing, we met monthly at Tobacco Junction in McGregor. We'll be resuming our monthly meetings there when the pandemic ends. So, if you get the urge, join us. And bring that beautiful gal of yours, too!

WacoOne

Lurker
Jul 7, 2020
Waco, TX
ericguel.com
Eric, welcome to this great forum. Your 'origin story' is much like mine. Bought my first cigar at a convenience store in Montreal when I was 18. My girlfriend now wife bought me my first pipe.

Don't think I didn't notice that vinyl collection in the back. Do you collect?

View attachment 35638

Beautiful city! Not sure where that is in relation to Toronto, but my wife, son, and I visited Canada for a few days last summer (Niagara and Toronto) and absolutely loved it.

About vinyl. I love the idea of collecting, but don't consider myself a "collector" just quite yet. I bought a cheap vinyl player on Amazon about a year ago and started picking up some albums (U2 are my boys!). I do plan on morphing into a collector and plan to upgrade my turntable with better speakers, etc. So, I guess I'm a neophyte but very enthused.

Thanks for asking!

WacoOne

Lurker
Jul 7, 2020
Waco, TX
ericguel.com
Howdy Eric,

Welcome to the forum! I live in Robinson, just south of Waco and am president of the Central Texas Pipe Club. We met monthly at Poppa Rollo's for 11-years before the smoking laws caused us to change venues, and until the COVID-19 thing, we met monthly at Tobacco Junction in McGregor. We'll be resuming our monthly meetings there when the pandemic ends. So, if you get the urge, join us. And bring that beautiful gal of yours, too!

Steve! I "met" you via email when I enquired about the club over a year ago. I never had a chance to show up to a meeting, but I'll prioritize attendance once COVID is over.

Funny thing, I remember, oh, fifteen years ago or so, I'd always listen to your radio show "Hall Of Fame Sports" (that the right name?) virtually every morning. I recall you talking about pipe smoking back then and knew we were kindred spirits in that regard.

One more thing. I work closely with your lovely wife, Beverly. I do some photos here and there for the bank. She's great!

Thanks again, Steve.

Reactions: pipestud
Status
Not open for further replies.