PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
P&C's Description-

"Best of the Rest English is another addition to the Best of the Rest family. The blend is constantly changing as we take left over English blend tobaccos and mix them together and sell them at a ridiculously low price. So, if you're a Latakia lover on a budget, stock up on Best of the Rest English."

I guess I've been thinking it was from leftover bulk orders.. so I figured it was probably made up of scraps from the english blend they sell the most of. I don't know where I came up with that after reading that description.. it's pretty vague.

Maybe its like store brand stuff, where they buy whichever brand is cheapest at the moment and repackage it..
Yeah shit it does make it sound like they do it at P&C. That’s odd they would have to have a lot of extra stuff to make pounds to sell. Or maybe stuff that’s sat around a while?

the aro one could either be great or horrible. ?

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Yeah shit it does make it sound like they do it at P&C. That’s odd they would have to have a lot of extra stuff to make pounds to sell. Or maybe stuff that’s sat around a while?

the aro one could either be great or horrible. ?

P&C's Description of the aromatic blend-

"Best of the Rest has been a best-seller on P&C for years. We gather together tobaccos that are leftover from when we weight out bulks and blend them together to create an aromatic blend that changes constantly. Best of all, you get a full pound for just a hair over a buck an ounce. Save big and stretch your budget with Best of the Rest"

I have no choice but to try them.. haha I'm like a moth to a flame at those prices.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
All three Stokkeby English blends are fantastic, Luxury English, Proper English, English Oriental Supreme, and all a bit different from each other. Plus Balkan Supreme, which I believe Stokkeby manufactures, but is sometimes labeled with other names, for example SP calls it Arango Balkan Supreme. C&D Star of the East is great, F&K Lancer slices is amazing, and I also like Kramer's Father Dempsey. The good news is that these are all sold in bulk and are usually easy to find.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
P&C's Description-

"Best of the Rest English is another addition to the Best of the Rest family. The blend is constantly changing as we take left over English blend tobaccos and mix them together and sell them at a ridiculously low price. So, if you're a Latakia lover on a budget, stock up on Best of the Rest English."

I guess I've been thinking it was from leftover bulk orders.. so I figured it was probably made up of scraps from the english blend they sell the most of. I don't know where I came up with that after reading that description.. it's pretty vague.

Maybe its like store brand stuff, where they buy whichever brand is cheapest at the moment and repackage it..
I suppose it could change from bag to bag, but FWIW, my bag seemed very much like a STG product to me. Almost like a bulk Balkan Sasieni. I haven't tried many of the bulk Stokkebye Englishes, but between the ones I have tried, and the Dunhill/Peterson blends, John Bull, Sasieni/Supreme, etc., it seemed very similar. Definitely didn't notice any leaf that seemed like C&D/GLP, or even Sutliff (surprisingly). I'd be interested to see if anyone else's bag showed hallmarks of other producers.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
View attachment 32676
Sutliff Blend No. 5 is a budget blend I like it. SPC has it for $7.95 a tin.

On tobaccoreviews.com
JimInks rates it 3/4
Pipestud rates 4/4

I remember when I was in college or fresh out ~2012 Sutliff was doing free samples, and sent me an entire tin of an English blend to try. I don’t remember much about the blend itself, but I remember thinking that was super cool

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think anyone has mentioned Hearth & Home Midtown series Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut. It has about six tobaccos, which could result in a rather harsh or muddy flavor, but is done with skill and goes together nicely. It is sold by the tub, but also for several years now, by the baggie, so you can sample it to see if you want a tub, for only six bucks or so. In rotation, a tub can last "forever," in a pleasing way.

Status
Not open for further replies.