PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Back in the 1970s he played Frodo in a BBC dramatized radio broadcast in many parts of The Lord of the Rings. It was a stunning cast of voice actors and I remember waiting in anticipation of the next weekly episode with my favorite uncle by a transistor radio, his cutting edge Radio Shack cassette recorder and a stack of TDK cassettes at hand. It was a great time to be alive. Today it seems unbelievable but at the time we were living in a small rural town on the dusty plains of Wyoming listening to some of the greatest actors playing out this fantastic story on the BBC and it didn’t matter one bit that the open air recording off a AM broadcast had us coughing and rustling about or picked up my grandmother working in the kitchen. We each had a copy of a dozen or fifteen cassettes and listened to them until they finally perished many years later from age and use. That’s my first memory of encountering Ian Holm and I am forever in his debt for the joy he brought us. RIP friend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can make your reputation doing Shakespeare, you can carry any role, even a poorly written one, and make something out of it. Shakespeare wrings the full range of possible emotions out of you. You end up with the whole damn keyboard and crazy stuff you never knew was there ... I think, not being an actor, but an appreciative audience. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.