PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I smoke mainly outdoors and there are many breezy days where I live. Do you have a favorite windy weather smoke? Currently Peterson 3P for longer smokes and Bracken Flame (only 1 tin left!) for shorter smokes. I find that straight VAs are not at their best and many blends just don’t have flavor or feel like you’re actually smoking if you’re out in the wind. Blends need to have decent body, produce a good amount of smoke and be chunky enough to hold up to a breeze. Usually that means some burley/Kentucky content. What are your thoughts and favs?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Def concur, blade. The natural stoking makes it way too hot without a cap & just shoots the taste to hellangone. ?
Yep. If it’s not too bad, I can get away with filling a really deep bowl to only about halfway, and get a decent smoke, but it certainly isn’t ideal. And if it’s too windy I don’t even bother. I’ll wait for a good bowl later.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I felt the same way until I tried 3p In a breeze. Didn’t get too hot, had enough flavor and body to still be a god smoke. Mind you it wasn’t a crazy wind But breezy, which is often bad enough.

Mar 29, 2016
I just finished my SG St. James Plug on a windy but more breezy balcony, it was, let's say ok, because I was somehow protected. It forced me to smoke at a faster pace which I didn't like but I was half way of a very flavorful smoke so I soldiered on. The cut was by chance, not by purpose, a bit thick so that it helped with the whole thing.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Plugs or flakes cut big/chunky. Any tobacco that is a challenge to keep lit if it is not windy. And, yeah, Virginia suffers

Reactions: virginialover

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree a heartier blend goes better in the wind, and cuts like flake, coin, plug, and rope will burn slower and give more satisfaction. Also, a deeper chamber filled about 2/3 full will give a little wind screen to the ember. Peterson 3-P is a good windy day blend.

Reactions: anotherbob

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
At 14mph today and smoking 5yo MacBaren HH Pure Virginia in a Brigham. These pipes are seriously under-rated. Smoke is holding together nicely. A little warm but not unexpected especially on a windy day.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Any Latakia flake, usually it's MacBaren's HH. Packed tight and protected with a lid it burns fine. I live in a windy environment so I always use a lid when smoking outside, it also serves as a cover to put a pipe in pocket.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.