Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's perfectly ok to try blending at home. And, if someone wants to grow, I would be more than happy to help get someone started. But, turning around and selling or distributing in any way is where it gets dangerous.

But, if I were being really successful at making some killer blends, you can always contact someone who already has a manufacturing licence and work with them... at least until the FDA thing caputs the whole new blend thing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This may have already been answered somewhere else but I was curious about selling tobacco on a very small scale. Is it illegal to blend your own tobacco and sell it to friends and family as a side hobby? I assume it is but not sure. I certainly don't want to violate the laws by doing this. Any info would help, thanks!
yes it is. The chances of getting any attention to your crime is probably pretty small unless your friends and family are both criminals who are going to get arrested and also snitches that for some reason want to throw you under the bus. Only ever heard of one person doing this and they were making their own snuff and selling it online and it took a long while before they got caught. The issue is always money. As far as giving it away depends on where you live. So honestly if you're "giving" it away to a small number of people and aren't advertising you're not taking a big risk. Oh and the guy that got caught didn't really seem to get into much trouble either from what it sounds like he got more of a knock it off or there will be trouble.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It's perfectly ok to try blending at home. And, if someone wants to grow, I would be more than happy to help get someone started. But, turning around and selling or distributing in any way is where it gets dangerous.

But, if I were being really successful at making some killer blends, you can always contact someone who already has a manufacturing licence and work with them... at least until the FDA thing caputs the whole new blend thing.
that was going to be my suggestion. Is start growing and then connect yourself with someone already doing it. They should be able to get you legal.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
We have one of the local offices of the ATF on the floor below us in our offices. You can tell who works for them because they all look fit, wear jeans, and have tactical backpacks. Our Christmas party was the same day as their Christmas party. After a few of us got drunk, we went down and challenged them to a fast draw contest and I pulled out my custom Beretta to show them how fast I was and how nifty and shiney it was. Not wise. I woke up 2 days later in the hospital in traction and the Dr's said there was a note in my colon that said "Don't try to out draw us, you'll lose." Yeah. Oh, and I miss that gun.

Thomasd70

Lurker
May 26, 2020
Don't sell anything, not even under the counter. You might not get caught, probably wouldn't, but the legal repercussions of this "lemonade stand" business wouldn't be worth the trouble rachat de credit travaux. Enjoy your tobacco and gift it to select friends. Otherwise you end up as an easy mark to make an example.
Always try to do good even if sometimes it is impossible.

Attachments

• 1591345716677.png
    1591345716677.png
    312 bytes · Views: 1

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
This may have already been answered somewhere else but I was curious about selling tobacco on a very small scale. Is it illegal to blend your own tobacco and sell it to friends and family as a side hobby? I assume it is but not sure. I certainly don't want to violate the laws by doing this. Any info would help, thanks!
yeah it's illegal but as long as you're not making a business out of it you shouldn't run into problems.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
1689: I'm late to the party of course.

Everyone seems to believe you live in the US. If you do, what you contemplate will result in agents from one or more of many regulating organizations, with guns and badges, coming to you with all sorts of paper requiring you to pay fines, secure proper licenses, etc. and to "cease and desist" until you are in compliance with Federal, State and local laws.

If you reside in another country, check with the authorities. Some countries may be more severe. Others? They may be more lax in their oversight of tobacco and other drugs.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Family and friends? I wouldn't worry about a gift and donation, just make sure they know to tell anyone it was a gift. And dont "give" to friends of friends.

There are alot bigger things on the government's plate than some pipesters trading a few tins of tobacco with no proof or traceable transactions.

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the other legal boobie traps besides selling or giving away home grown tobacco is possession of any part of a raptor (bird of prey). Even possession of bones, feathers, or any other part comes with vast fines and long sentences. Exceptions for certain Indian tribes apply. Try to avoid looking at any remains of a raptor encountered in the wild would seem to be good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.